Cisco Systems - Learned a lot during my summer internship at Cisco, San Jose (DCG group) | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Learned a lot during my summer internship at Cisco, San Jose (DCG group)"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in San Jose, CA
Former Intern - Summer Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands-off management, no coddling, you're left to your own devices to learn the nuances of the problem assigned to you. Helpful team members.

Cons

Wish there were more perks like good healthy food in the break rooms. Very few team outings or lunches.

Advice to Management

There should be more team-building activities like group lunches or fun activities on Friday evenings.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Large well respected company with aging C-level leadership and SDN competive threats"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Collaboration internally works well across GEO boundaries and functions. Meetings often on webex so we use our own product.

Cons

Company morale decreasing after multiple layoffs and threat of SDN. Big turnover in Executive Ranks across Bus. Development, Sales, and Finance over the last year (2012-2013). Need much faster decision making.

Advice to Management

Overhaul" at the C- level is necessary. (CEO/COO). Company is run with a Hardware mentality while gross margins decline. Overall future at risk if Software does not become a MAJOR focus (operationally, portfolio, GTM, sales comp.). Very hard to get promoted.

"The company has lost it's charm...I wasn't an employee, but a contractor"

Former Contractor - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Contractor - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is still a large profit making BIG enterprise, great locations and flexibility, and diversity etc.

Cons

It has lost it's charm, and the authentic and motivating leadership it once had. It has become a typical bureaucratic institution with "all day conference calls" to get things done. Worst are those unintelligent managers who have no clue what they are talking.

Advice to Management

Cut down unnecessary hierarchies, empower managers, and knowledgeable people.