Cisco Systems - Awesome people, interesting work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Awesome people, interesting work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Knoxville, TN
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The section I work at in Knoxville has a free Friday policy where every other Friday you get to do your own research. The projects change on a regular basis so at least twice a year you change up what you are working on. The other employees and managers in my section are really great, intelligent cool people with only one exception.

Cons

My group at Cisco in Knoxville is very separate from corporate Cisco in San Jose, and that can make some communications seem forced and ludicrous. Also there is that one manager in my group at Cisco who has favorites and prefers ideas from one person over another. There is not much possibility of advancement at least from within my section at Cisco without leaving Cisco. As well as Cisco has the regular lay offs which are bad for moral and scary.

Advice to Management

Happy employee are more productive employees, so show employee how to advance within Cisco, and do something about the favoritism showed by a specific manager.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "It was a great place to work."

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation is good
    Flexible work hours
    Quite a bit of smart people

Cons

Difficult to get things done - too many stakeholders that will slow you down
    There are different compensation levels among different functional group - it promotes the mentality of "2nd class citizen" within the company.

2. "Great first 10 years, then....................."

Former Employee - Channels & Bus Dev in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Channels & Bus Dev in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, challenging, get to be part of one of the industries greatest sales teams

Cons

Have become political in last few years with folks hiring cronies from industry at high pay while the meat of the organization is being dismantled - i.e, the folks brining in the revenue that own long term client relationships.

Advice to Management

Go back to what you do best and lead with appropriate technologies - make your core teams feel appreciated, your competitors are !