Cisco Systems - A decent company | Glassdoor

"A decent company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent compensation and benefit package.
Positive work environment. Co-workers are mostly nice and respectful.
Team building events are well organized.

Cons

Need better management.
Like most of tech companies, job security is one thing you can't have.
Need better project planning.
Have to work over-time sometimes.

Advice to Management

avoid bad acquisitions. less re-organizations.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"salary"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I was interested of the quality of work

Cons

The work environment wasn't very professional

Advice to Management

Be fair and honest

"Gets worse every year"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cisco is the market leader in most categories it operates in. It is a recognized name. Cisco is big enough that the company "could" expand into growth areas, if the management had the knowledge and foresight to choose the markets carefully. There is enough brain trust and money still on board to create the next dozen world-changing products.

Cons

Any company can experience only so much growth before market share and sales level off. Cisco's flat growth rate was inevitable. Yet the company still tries to bow to Wall Street, at the expense of customer and employee satisfaction. Outsourcing of software and hardware development jobs is reaching a fever pitch. Product prices are on a race to the bottom, while quality follows, but internal metrics for performance measurement have not changed in a decade. Products and product strategies have not changed significantly, despite re-org after re-org. Employees are asked to follow the same processes, and perform to the same metrics which were put in place a long time ago, when profit per employee was seven figures.

Advice to Management

We cannot compete with cheap Asian products that perform just as well as our current expensive products which are designed and built by the same cheap Asian ODM "partners". Putting the Cisco logo on a crummy Chinese box is not going to fool anyone. Ask Google and Microsoft and Amazon. Bring the development jobs back to the USA, with an emphasis on creating better products that are cheaper. Believe it or not, American engineers know how to design cheap PC boards. The USA engineer is not cheap, but he or she is perfectly capable of creating compelling, less expensive product designs. If our customers are unwilling or unable to pay a premium for the Cisco brand, do NOT try to fool the customer with lower quality products. Sometimes I wonder if upper management really believes the company is better off for outsourcing everything except the logo. How can the companies that we compete with be trusted to design and build our products for us? Do you really think the Chinese ODM has Cisco's best interest in mind? Absolutely not. They will drink from the teat until it's dry, and then step in to sell even more of their crap after Cisco gives up or implodes. With billions in the bank, it's not too late to do the right thing.