Cisco Systems - "Welcome to the team, DZ-015" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

""Welcome to the team, DZ-015""

Former Employee - Web Developer in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Web Developer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dependable salary, relatively straight-forward requirements, nice folks, pretty good work life balance (almost never stayed past 6pm)

Cons

As many as 11 layers of management will separate you from the CEO. This translates to a mountain of bureaucracy, with hundreds of internal groups, some deeply removed from customers. The group I worked for went by an acronym, and no one, not even my manager who had been there for 20 years, could recount what the acronym meant or how they came to get it exactly.

Cisco seems to have an existing informal agreement with employees: we will hire you as a contractor, and one day, many years from now, you will become permanent. May be 2 years, may be 5. That's a long time for commitment in the tech sector, so it attracts folks who are willing to slog it out and are looking for long-term, safe employment.

A newer model was developing as I was leaving, which is diametrically opposed to this, was outsourcing. So after toughing it out for years and doubling-down on Cisco, you might discover that one day a foreign employee on a visa, or many, many foreign employees with visas suddenly appear. It's your job to train them in how to do your job. Sound scary? It sure was to the 55 year olds I worked with.

Advice to Management

None, you're probably doing the best you can with what you've got (a monopoly, 100k+ employees, mixed in quality, uncertain future). I suppose you could layoff trying to move into the consumer space.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Overall I learned a lot but was disenchanted by how little parts of the company care about their employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with some very bright and great people.

Cons

Little work life balance and they don't stand behind their own 'zero tolerance' for harrassment policy. When you report something you get told to get over it and move on. I've heard this from at least 10 people at this point.

Advice to Management

They should care more about their employees. It doesn't appear that the cream is rising to the top. It appears that lots of good people are being restructured or leaving.

"Blue badge or bust..."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a full time employee life is great but those positions are hard to come by unless you have one already.

Cons

There some great people working there but it is an obvious divide between contractors and full-time employees.

Advice to Management

Your contracted work force is a sizable one... do all you can to keep them happy as well as you employees