Cisco Systems - Not the place it used to be but still a great company and very good place to work and build a career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Not the place it used to be but still a great company and very good place to work and build a career."

Current Employee - Individual Contributor In Manufacturing in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Individual Contributor In Manufacturing in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The quality of the people, integrity and business ethics and work/life balance.
Although there are fewer opportunities for upward mobility, lateral movement is very common and there are a broad range of possibilities.

Cons

Beyond grade 10 or eleven 11 Upward mobility is much more difficult and politics are intense.

Advice to Management

Cisco is unnecessarily complex in many areas. Need to focus on simplification.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Not rewarding to be a contractor"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice regional parks throughout the area that are easily accessible from many of the Cisco buildings for lunchtime walks. I was allowed to telecommute as much as I liked.

Cons

I was a contractor and treated badly. There's a fear of being let go or being reorg'd into another group and different location at any moment. I found out I had a new manager when I looked in the online employee directory just to see if everything was correct about me. Not only did a I have a new boss, but I had a different job title, too. I found some of the people impossible to get along with, and now that I've been gone a few months I understand it. You need to be of the mentality that you would throw your own mother under the bus if it means it would get you some visibility. It's hard to make a mark there, objectives are not understood, and nothing is static or stable. Turnover is high. The next meeting with your manager may mean your termination. It's a huge company and making yourself known can be very challenging. So naturally, if someone is willing to throw out their mother, they can even more easily walk all over co-workers. In my case, a couple of co-workers knew how to do the technical aspects of my job, so just helped themselves to it. There was no teamwork; it was 100% competitive. Instead of being pleasant and nice, it was almost combative. I've never worked in a meaner, more emotionally hostile environment. It's been almost a year since my contract ended, and finally the thought of Cisco doesn't make me wince.

Advice to Management

- Stop the madness that meetings don't mean anything. More meetings are canceled than are held. Canceling meetings disrespects those of us who have prepared for them, either with presentations or questions that need to be answered.- Hire some of the great people who are contractors to combat some of the utter useless power-tripping that creates a hostile working environment.

2. "A good company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company with internal opportunities, if you learn how to take advantage of them.

Cons

Decisions take too long, everything is very slow.