Cisco Systems - Love working at Cisco | Glassdoor

"Love working at Cisco"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Everyone is intelligent, great leadership, fun culture. Even though we are a remote office, do to our Unified Commucations tools we feel like we are one company globally. You are permitted to take your own patch and own as much responsibility as you want.

Cons

very competitive - but his is also good. They have taken away a lot of small perks like free drinks, pay for home internet etc,

Advice to Management

Bring back small perks, they do a lot for morale

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Great company, but very difficult to advance in career"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great vision from CEO - Chambers turned internet "plumbing" company into software/application/unified communications/collaboration/video/data center & server company in the last 5-10 years.
    Great sales execution
    Great product line - It almost sells itself
    Good pay & commission checks (because of reason above)
    Ability to work remotely
    Empowerment - WebEx conferencing, softclient IP phone allows above
    Flexibility - Allows personal choices for work devices such as Macbook Pros (at company's expense!) & iPhones

Cons

Slow career advancement
    Unclear on how to get promotions
    Company is severely cutting costs - no more free beverage, home internet, etc.
    Perceived poor leadership from development organization - most of our technology & new product lines are gained through acquisitions
    Salary increases are very little - expect none to 3-5% a year
    Pace of work (at least in sales) is FAST. Must control own work life balance.

Advice to Management

1. Stop turning Cisco into your typical large company. Bring back some of the perks that were taken away by the cost cutting measures.
    2. Continue innovating on existing product lines. Company can expand horizontally through acquisitions, but is losing market share on core routing & switching.

"Sr Management power games"

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

I'm happy to have a steady job. People are usually impressed to know I work at a name recognized company.

Cons

Too much internal politics and backstabbing amongst senior management. I don't understand how the executives allow this to happen - unless they promote it. Excellent performing leaders are forced to leave for no good reason other than land grab.

Advice to Management

Stop the land grab and just develop and sell product. Why continue to purchase companies like Flip Video when you should be promoting and rewarding internal innovation?