Cisco Systems - Would rather be homeless - expect continued flat growth | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Would rather be homeless - expect continued flat growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some good people work here. They can be very supportive, freely share expertise, information, and are excellent problem solvers.

Cons

Management is mostly clueless, and cronyism is rampant. It's more about personal relationships than actual ability. It's about the personal bottom line, and 98% of management cannot handle constructive criticism. This is killing company growth and profitability.

Too many people who take credit for, and are awarded for, the work of others.

Watch your back, who you share information with, and be aware and wary of those who view you as a threat to their desire for recognition and upward mobility.

Always have a powerful rabbi. Preferably in the Sr. VP range to provide protection from the Director level.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Put your egos in check. Learn where the optimal value is coming from. Quit promoting based on who you personally likes (ie the guy who toots your horn), and promote based on the real measurable value an IC delivers.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a lot of chance to learn.

Cons

no free lunch. everything else is OK.

2. "Cisco is a good company that offers benefits and flexible schedule to employees."

Former Intern - GDS Lab Services in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - GDS Lab Services in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Cisco is located in San Jose, which has perfect weather year long and it's close to San Francisco, a great city to visit. Offers benefits to employees. The people I worked with were very nice and welcoming.

Cons

The company is really big, which makes it hard to achieve professional growth.

I was hired to the position of 'Hardware Engineer' but was assigned to another team without my input a day before the internship started. Instead of working, learning, and putting my knowledge into practice, I was assigned to be the mail man and my responsibility was receiving and labeling equipment.

I only saw my manager once a week during team meetings and once at the end of my internship.