Cisco Systems - No ego, little politics, great work-life balance - at the cost of low-energy environment. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"No ego, little politics, great work-life balance - at the cost of low-energy environment."

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like how my colleagues are down-to-earth, in a real way. I interviewed with hot industry names and was really put-off by the arrogance of the people I've met. The work-life balance is also very good. The compensation is competitive with most of the top names in the market. Also, management is experienced and good to learn from.

Cons

It's an older culture. People are not very driven. The company isn't really innovating. The benefits are good, not amazing - the ESPP program, for example, is pretty good for a corporate.

Advice to Management

Management should create special tracks for younger employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Not what it used to be - not sure if it is for the better (though I hope so as a stock holder :-) )"

Former Employee - Senior Tech Lead in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Tech Lead in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company, very strong infrastructure & processes, challenging work, exciting projects, wonderful co-workers & team environment (may be from sharing the pain together), competitive compensation, very strong work ethic (a requirement for success here).

Cons

Confrontational environment, unrealistic expectations from engineers and teams, project success at any cost, treats vendors poorly, slow personal growth as company is stagnating.

Advice to Management

Frequent management shuffle at top really makes life difficut down in the trenches. Often things change before the results from the last change is even clear.

2. "Depends on the team"

Current Intern - IT Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Intern - IT Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Some teams are incredibly agile and add serious value to the company. A startup culture exists in a large company which is pretty unique.

Cons

Many teams work from home and lack cohesion. A lot of employees try to hide behind org structures and seemingly provide little value while making a paycheck. Also, regular layoffs.