Cisco Systems - Not the same company | Glassdoor

"Not the same company"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Flexible hours
Lots of smart people to work with until it comes to management.
Decent benefits.
Teleworker options available for many.

Cons

-Too political and bureaucratic.
-Too many chiefs. Too many managers, project managers, program managers.
-Engineering staff looked upon as "resources" to be shuffled around rather than prize possession.
-Too much corporate double talk and jargon.

Advice to Management

More emphasis on engineering.
Fire yourselves because you are doing a horrible job and running this company into the ground.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

1. "The Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate Systems Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Systems Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Cisco is one of the best places that I've ever worked. Even among other IT companies such as SAS and Google, I think Cisco stands out as one of the best. (Okay, Google was really good too, and possibly cooler, but I still say Cisco is better.)

Why? I can sum it up in one word: culture. The people here are amazing, and always willing to help you out and help you grow in your career. I've never loved the place and people I work with more. It's also a very good place to build a career, with a lot of lateral movement within the company. And if you're willing to work at it there is a lot of opportunity for advancement as well. Just be prepared to work harder than anyone else if you want it.

Cons

The work/life balance is a little skewed towards the work side. But they have seminars on just this topic. It's not as crazy as Google, but I do spend more than 40 hours a week at work fairly often. Luckily Cisco allows you to work from home, so you're not stuck in the office the entire time.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue what you're doing! Cisco is making amazing progress and is still an industry leader nearly every time they enter the market. Though I would suggest spending more time on making the three architectures more accessible to the common public. Marketing buzzwords aren't the best way to sell a solution.

"Super smart people, but join this company at the level you plan to remain in for a while- slow promotions"

Current Employee - Usability Design Engineer in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Usability Design Engineer in Santa Clarita, CA

Pros

Pretty flexible about working from home (they own Webex)
    People are smart and overall employees are fun to work with
    Meetings are kept to a tolerable minimum

Cons

Slow to promote or increase salary so you are forced to leave the company if you really want an increases in money and responsibilities.
    Like most large corporations, they do not have a mechanism that employees trust to provide feedback about Sr. Managers that will be taken seriously.

Advice to Management

The recent Cisco Mail mess could have been avoided had senior management taken the time to have one-on-ones with the staff who could have let them know exactly what was wrong and how to fix it. There needs to be a better mechanism/process for senior managers to do discovery on projects/departments that are in trouble. In addition, there needs to be checks and balances so that the "problem" manager is not the one conducting the one-on-ones.