Cisco Systems - The perfect company for cool dorks. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"The perfect company for cool dorks."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Cisco is a leader across many different sub-industries within IT: routing, switching, storage, VoIP, wireless, optical, application acceleration, etc. which allows sales engineers to gain a wide breadth of knowledge and exposure across many different technologies and products. Working with Cisco is very fast paced and you get to play with cutting edge technology that has not been released to the mainstream public yet. Cisco sales managers do no micromanage; they give their employees all the freedom and resources needed to get their job done.

Cons

If you don't love electronics or gadgets or computers, you will be lost. You have to love technology to succeed or you will be too overwhelmed.

When working in sales where customer satisfaction is paramount, sometimes this means you have to make yourself available during non-standard working hours.

Also, because attrition within Cisco is minimal, promotions to management positions within Cisco might be harder to obtain because few managers want to leave.

Advice to Management

Continue to execute on our 5 year strategy, but realize, the more industries we enter and the more companies we acquire, the sales guys are the ones that have to get up to speed on our ever expanding portfolio.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Cisco, at least its not flipping hamburgers."

Current Employee - Hardware Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

regular paycheck, industry standard. Will not go away tomorrow. The company is the network hardware standard. When anyone is putting in network infrastructure, anything that will connect to the internet, it will go through a Cisco Systems product at one point or another. That means they company will last a few years, so there will be consistent employment. If you work hard enough to convince your boss you are worthy, and you get a mediocre or better review on your yearly talent review? you will get paid every other week. This does not mean you are delivering quality work or innovation, but you are playing the game well.

it is sad. there is so much opportunity here.

Cons

innovation is out the window. it is becoming process laden, and totally red tape encumbered. Layoffs every time they need to make numbers. Management heavy.

You want 100 words or more. Hmm. Why? This is exactly the problem we are having at Cisco. You set a rigid guideline, which requires people to fill up space, even when it does not have meaning? We are experiencing the same here. Why host a 1 hour meeting, when the point could be conveyed in 15 minutes.

Cisco used to be a highly innovative company, delivering cutting edge products. Now? we struggle to get 100 words, instead of focusing on the product.

Advice to Management

stop 'saving money' in foolish ways. communicate and collaborate better. promote telecommuting.

2. "Great jobs at Cisco and ways to move up"

Current Employee - Web Developer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in San Jose, CA

Pros

The ability to move up.

Cons

The consulting job isn't enough benefits.

Advice to Management

The vision and steps that Cisco are going are what I have vision for the future. I'm glad a lot of the management team are seeing the Vision the same way as their employee.