Cisco Systems - Cisco is a good place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

"Cisco is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Leader I in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Technical Leader I in Austin, TX

Pros

The pay and people are excellent.

Cons

Long hours, boring work, no state of the art software. Software engineers live in cube land. Senior managment really doesn't seem to know where they are going.

Advice to Management

Move into the 21 century software development wise. Use C++ not C, use design methodologies. Use existing operating systems.

Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems

"Great Work Life balance"

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great Work-Life balance. Very collaborative work environment. Plenty of opportunities for internal job transfers. Opportunities to learn many COTS and in house developed applications and processes. Great encouragement to the employees from the management for learning courses that contribute to career development, professional and personal growth.
    Employees in general take pride in working for Cisco and show belongingness to the company. Brand name is easily recognized through out the globe.

Cons

Too big a company, with many processes. Formal knowledge transition and standardised onboarding processes almost non existent or differ greatly across various organizations. More than one person/team working on the same task without each other's knowledge.

Advice to Management

Focus on recognising the hard working employees than those who make just noise and no measurable results with ROI.

"If you don't like startup environment, cisco is the one you gotta pick up."

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Jose, CA

Pros

I was hired by Cisco choice program, in which new hires can choose their teams based on how they like to work or who to work for. Since most teams need more people, managers squeeze their brains to attract the new hires into their team. Before the new hires choose their teams, they are exposed to most information about projects and benefits or drawbacks of each team which is tipped by managers, who pamper the new hires badly (I thought I'm the king of cisco during the period - once I chose my team, my heyday was over..). This is an example of cisco how this company tries to lay out best environment for their employees.

Cons

The largest problem in cisco is its size. It is a big guy, which means its decision making process is very slow. Officially my reporting structure is not that complicated; manager, general manager, director, and VP (there are more, but in my position, I doubt that I can see anyone of them). But there are also inofficial small team structures here as well and of course some politics. Thus in order for me to convey my idea and make it adopted by my team, do you know how many people I have to convince?

Advice to Management

I used to work for a startup and know how fast they are moving on. Cisco doesn't have to move like that since it has its name and money and human resources. However, at least it needs to speed up a little in its overall progress for projects, but large team size may be one of biggest obstacles. Make it small and move agile.