Citi - Not bad | Glassdoor

"Not bad"

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Citi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good People, nice location of offices

Cons

Work ususally extendede to weekends

Other Employee Reviews for Citi

1. "like working for government"

I worked at Citi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

learn a lot of banking business

Cons

Managers coming in and out. Organization structure is too complicated. Without proper restructuring, the organization needs to hire more internal communicators to smooth out operations which make the organization even more complicated. It is hard to plan for a career in an always changing environment. No clear business goal and guidelines. Oral promised incentives sometimes can not be delivered after reaching the target.

Advice to Management

Hire managers with direct and right experience and put them in the right position. Cut down the number of middle managers. The learning process for new managers is too long and often lead the team in a direction against business. Above all, they also need to be empowered and be accountable. The lower level employees just want to get their work done rather than spending much of their time reporting to so many managers.

2. "Large company treatment, but valuable experience gained"

Former Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO

I worked at Citi full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always felt financially stable there, even through the difficult times. Leadership training and talent management systems were really great. Liked the goal-setting process and enjoyed the philosophy of implementing flexible work schedules, including many work at home opportunities. Tuition reimbursement was excellent (although, I think that has been cut in these difficult economic times, but I am sure it's still available to some extent).

Cons

Large company feel - the company is so large, and even though robust talent management systems are in place, employees still feel like a number. In a company that large, that's just going to happen, and I like being part of a smaller organization where I feel like my contributions really matter. After almost 2 decades of service, my business unit was sold, and more than 2000 employees in our division were laid off - I am sure our presence was not missed, and the organization moved on. It's hard to get your voice heard at upper levels, and even the senior-level managers have a very small voice. So many regulations and requirements make for a lot of red tape. Again, the down-side to being employed by a large global organization that is publicly traded and must adhere to certain guidelines.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on leadership and talent development; look for the "diamonds in the rough" and develop them too, not just the obvious high potential employees. Employee involvement is key! Ask for their input and ideas - include them, even if you can't use everything they have to suggest - the organization will flourish if they at least feel like their opinions matter!