Citi - Relatively new employee wishes Citigroup knew anything about technology. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Citi

"Relatively new employee wishes Citigroup knew anything about technology."

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Jose, CA

Pros

Citigroup is a powerful financial institution with a lot of resources unique to the institution. As a financial advisor, I have access to a lot of in-house resources and tools for my clients that are, as far as I can tell, unique to the industry. They pay fairly well and the overall environment here is not bad, and there is a good deal of comraderie between advisors within the office. Once everything was set up, we've had a good deal of autonomy as to how we run our business within the firm, so in that respect I'm quite satisfied.

Cons

Citigroup has more beaurocracy than any company I have ever seen. Anything in my branch can be done relatively quickly, but setting up accounts for interns, making any changes to my workstation, or attempting to do anything that requires outside approval takes forever. My HR director has been working for the firm for almost 20 years and still is confused by the system, not because she is less than competent but because the system makes very little sense. In addition, the firewall and operating system all computers are required to have almost, but not quite, completely cripples my ability to do any work with technology of any kind. There is a fairly good software suite preinstalled on the computer, but any applications that I want to use that haven't gone through the endless Citigroup approval process can't be installed. Upgrading or replacing technology of any kind is also very difficult. In addition, in the recent market Citigroup made some financial mistakes that were extremely costly to my busniess and my clients, so I'm entirely less than happy about that, but some of the other deals I have managed to get for them mostly makes up for some of the recent fiascos.

Advice to Management

Give me a real operating system. Give me a better computer. Don't make me pay for an intern to sit in a cubicle for 3 weeks twiddling his thumbs because you can't figure out how to assign a login and password. Move your password assistance branch out of Mexico. Do not take risks with supposedly risk-free investments. Cut back the beaurocracy and try and actually get things done in a logical and timely manner, as opposed to your current convulted and incredibly slow method of doing business.

Other Employee Reviews for Citi

1. "citi review"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in New York, NY

Pros

nice pockets that encourage and reward innovation

Cons

Huge company. can be hard to navigate. Excess culture of compliance and rules

Advice to Management

encourage innovation from bottom up

2. "A global company with a local feel."

Current Employee - Anomymous in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anomymous in San Jose, CA

Pros

It is a global company, with opportunities all over the world. It is very multicultural, co-workers from around the world. The people are interesting and talented. The people I work with are talented. The manager has done a great job of hiring people with different strenghts. The team approach to completing our tasks works very well. It is very easy to come together to work on projects, resolve problems. Among our competitors we are among the leaders in technology to get our jobs done. I am able to have some control over were I work, avoid long commutes, and flexibility in working from home or several different offices.

The upper management will travel, hold town hall meetings where any of us may attend. No one is excluded, and we are given an opportunity to be heard.

Cons

These are pretty tough times for the financial services industry. The industry has been going through downsizing, and we have not been spared in this process. Sometimes it is difficult to get some things done due to the size of the company. Change can be difficult or slow due to the maturity of the firm,and the size. Upper management is many levels up and other than the town hall meetings noted above, can sometimes feel impossible to communicate with.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, I really am not ready to complete this field. I would need more time to work on this. They do some things very well, and there are areas to improve. It would be nice if we hadn't gotten into the risky CMO's. It would be much better if we were not in the news regarding whether or not we were less than diligent in the products we offered investors or invested in ourselves. But hind sight is 20/20. I am not qualified to make these judgements, and certainly don't have all the information.