Citi - Extremely poor middle management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Citi

"Extremely poor middle management"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid time off is generours
Flexible work arrangements
401K Matching is 100% vested immediately

Cons

Senior management is, in my opinion, pretty good but middle managers are aweful. Promotions are not based on merit but based on politics and on how long you have been in the company.

There are too many people doing the same thing all through out the company...no wonder there are lay offs. There should be more.

Workload is completely unbalanced: the good people end up working 11-12 hours a day until they get frustrated and leave because of poor compesantion and lack of professional opportunities to move up.

Compensation is 10-15% below industry average. Bonuses are just plain ridiculous. The difference between being a top performer and an average one is $1K...why bother?

Think twice about coming here if you have more than 1 offer to choose from...

Other Employee Reviews for Citi

1. "Lots of support but managers are severely underpaid for the workload."

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Strong corporate culture
    - Relaxed environment (cards call centre)
    - Diversity of staff

Cons

As a manager of 25 -30 staff, I'm severely underpaid for the work I'm doing. Due to the "zoning" of salaries, I'm paid the same as an employee in the midwest, though I'm 30 miles outside of DC. I'd estimate I'm underpaid about 15K for the work I do. It's also hard to swallow that my "raise" this year works out to $8.22 a cheque when the company earned 2.2B in the 4Q.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth, or at minimum provide cost of living increases in order to stay competitive.

2. "Associate with the Corporate & Investment Bank based primarily in New York City at 388 Greenwich"

Current Employee - Investment Banking Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Investment Banking Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started in 1998 the pay was very competitive for investment banking associates. The caliber of professionals working around you are top shelf. Substantial resources at your disposal to perform your job. Highest caliber clients. Truly global universal bank provides geographic flexibility. Substantial institutional knowledge. Outstanding training program for those joining at the entry level. Extremely interesting work.

Cons

During my tenure managers were not good at managing subordinates. Extremely long hours. Working as a banker with Citi as an I banker was a life style decision. Break down of compensation causes employees to assume substantial risk for the year. Its up or out and very competitive. Can be a political mine field to stay at firm.

Advice to Management

More transparency to junior leaders from senior management. Better incentivize management in developing junior leaders. Incorporate the principal perspective in dealing with clients.