Citizant - Run as fast as you can .... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Citizant

"Run as fast as you can ...."

I worked at Citizant full-time

Pros

There were some positive items, but they were far out-weighed by the negative items.

Cons

At first the company appeared to be somewhere you would like to work and make a career, even if the interviewing process was unbelievable. Once inside you became aware of a company that was not organized, consistent, or interested in addressing their issues. Their approach to the staff is not with thoughts of staff first, but rather close to the bottom of the list. The staff turnover was horrendous. The percentage of staff that left/joined the company each month was in the double digits, and not just in the low double digits. No communication between (senior) management and staff; good, bad, or in-different. Consequently, when there is a change it is a complete surprise. The company strives to be process oriented in their work, including staffing, recruiting, contracts, and cost management. However, at times their approach prevented them from addressing the “reality” of the situation.

Advice to Management

Start over....at one time there was a thought to recruit talented management and senior leaders, but that was scraped to minimize costs and value of the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Citizant

"Drama, Drama, Drama."

I have been working at Citizant full-time

Pros

Location, flexible work hours, usually the company picks up lunch every month for everyone.

Cons

The culture literally is focused around drama. Many people (especially HR) generate issues/drama and watch the ripple effects flow throughout the employee population. Trust is a huge issue, everyone has a hidden agenda is out for themselves. Nothing you say within the building is truly confidential, plan on every word out of your mouth being used against you later down the road.

It's honestly very similar to the fall of the Roman Empire. The company is in dire shape, and the upper administration team is living the high life while your lower level employees are stuck working extra hours and getting laid off.

Advice to Management

Actually be on-site more. Many of you show up around 10am and leave at 3pm every single day. Then when many of you are in the building, you can walk by your office and see you playing on your smartphone. That doesn't sit well for the people who are out trying to actually do a decent job.

"Hard work garners respect..."

Current Employee - PM/QA Management in Virginia (South Africa)
    Current Employee - PM/QA Management in Virginia (South Africa)

I have been working at Citizant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In many companies, you are just a number. Even extraordinary work gets overlooked. I have found that to be just the OPPOSITE with Citizant. In my 4 year tenure, I have worked on many contracts with many extraordinary individuals, but none as fun, dedicated, and motivating as our CEO, Alba Alemán. I have witnessed first-hand her tireless dedication and incredible work ethic, and it is one of the main reasons I enjoy working here, as I know she strives to make Citizant a success.

I have been given opportunity at Citizant to perform, and I have worked hard to take advantage of that. I truly believe that my hard work has been greatly appreciated by this company. While I was hired for two specific contracts that have since ended, Citizant recognized my hard work and dedication and have kept me on board, finding many other areas and contracts for me to work on. Those of you who have done IT contracting for a while know that is not always the case (I sure do) and I find that level of respect and loyalty to their trusted employees to be an honorable trait for an IT contractor to possess. I also appreciate the support they have shown, not just me, but my family as well. Again, a rare and honorable trait that I do not overlook.

On top of all that, I have found the work since I have been here to be challenging and at the forefront in helping to shape the new landscape of IT work in supporting the Federal Government and it's needs. Citizant encourages their employees to be proactive; to provide not only analysis, but solutions. I am proud to be a "Citizant" and look forward to continuing to help make Citizant one of the best IT contractor's in NoVA.

Cons

The last two years has seen a bit of employee turnover. This has caused some difficulty in leadership, and some contracts struggled because of it. In my opinion, a majority of the problems were caused by a few factors.

1. Some of the contracts were difficult to staff, meaning that considerable time was spent identifying qualified candidates to fill jobs. At the end of the day, there were some successes to be sure, but some failures as well. In the case of several hirings, the individuals were just not capable of filling the role they were hired for. They have thinned this "herd" in the last year, which probably accounts for a lot of the negative reviews posted here, but I sure you many of those released fell into this category, and Citizant is better off without them, in my opinion. While ineffective employees are often a problem across all of the IT industry, the real problem here was that instead of being replaced, they were allowed to sit in these positions without adequate appraisals of their work performance for far too long. This was a direct result of the next factor...

2. Leadership is a difficult trait to master. Down in the trenches of IT projects, the Project Manager is responsible for leading their team to achieve the objective. While I have seen some great PMs here at Citizant, I have seen some bad ones also. PM problems I witnessed first hand included failure to drive best practices, failure to adequately identify personnel issues and address them, inadequate communication skills, and failure to drive project schedule (sometimes, failure to HAVE a project schedule). Citizant does appear to learn from their mistakes, and has let those PMs go. I am hopefull moving forward, as they seem to be exhibiting more diligence in their PM leadership selections.

3. Communications is also a hard trait to master. I have seen problems in the past here at Citizant. Communications with their project teams, especially the remote teams, needs to improve. It's not to say their remote teams aren't doing a great job, but in what I have seen, they feel isolated from the company. Oftentimes they seem to feel more like government employees and not Citizant employees. This is challenging, and should be addressed. I have also seen struggle with stakeholder communications as well. It's not enough to have formal meetings. A personal touch is sometimes needed throughout a project, especially with more difficult clients, to understand their concerns, connect with their needs, and manage expectations. While it's not to say this didn't occur to some degree, it can be improved.

Advice to Management

1. Empower your project teams with more support. Engage them, and their clients, early and often. Help them feel like a part of this company, not just the customer they serve.

2. Engage project teams with more structured learning opportunities. Provide more focused process training in key areas of SDLC infrastructure processes and best practices, such as Requirement Analysis, Business Analysis, QA, Development, CM, and Testing. Provide more brown bag opportunities and encourage participation.

3. Improve employee appraisals - Not only strive to hire good employees, but help them improve. Use evaluations, not just yearly... more frequently, to point out strengths, weakness, and offer areas to improve. Audit this to ensure managers understand their role and how to give constructive critiques. Part of a managers job is to motivate and cultivate employees to be better. Strengthen our company by challenging the leaders to take a more active role in improving our workforce by offering more constructive analysis to the employees.

Citizant is a great company to work for, and I think these improvements would reap countless rewards.