Citizen Schools - They require you work 60 hour//week and they pay you $22,800 a year....You do the math | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Citizen Schools

"They require you work 60 hour//week and they pay you $22,800 a year....You do the math"

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow
Current Employee - Teaching Fellow

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a strong culture that it embeds in its teaching fellows and employees letting them believe something that is far from reality. At the end of the day, they're a company who is out to stay in business.

Cons

The company hires in 7 states in which it pays all of it's teaching fellows a set salary of $22,800 (one year, two years or regional leads). Because its bi-monthly, you take home around $800 each paycheck. You get paid the same salary whether you work in New York City, the bay area, Boston, or New Mexico. by the way, I believe this salary is below the minimum wage in certain areas where they're located (just so you know). So in reality, you're better off making more money as a cashier in NYC than working for this place.

As for the culture piece, the company tries to sell why their doing their mission. ladies and gentlemen, at the end of the day, they're a company trying to stay in business.

Lastly, they ask their employees to raise money for them. Living below the minimum wage and asking their employees to find them money? As the saying goes, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

At the end of the day, once your two year contract is done, they kick you out onto the streets and that's the end.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a decent salary and maybe you won't have such a high turnover.

Other Employee Reviews for Citizen Schools

1. "Great org and mission"

Pros

Provides great services and resources to kids in need

Cons

Great place to get started in education, but a smaller org

2. "My experience with being a TF"

I worked at Citizen Schools full-time

Pros

- met some really wonderful, like-minded professionals who are just as passionate about education and the opportunity gap as me
    - gained skills in working productively in a stressful environment
    - became very good at multi-tasking
    - gained excellent hands-on classroom skills
    - built strong relationships with students
    - freedom to develop new curriculum, and teach from my passions
    - gained curriculum-writing skills
    - gained an extensive knowledge of Google Drive, Docs, Excel, etc..
    - many wonderful Professional Developments, including some on mindfulness, self-care, data-sharing, effective teaching strategies, etc.. (all different topics)
    - Built some wonderful professional relationships with mentors who helped coach me, and were willing to help any way possible to build me up as a professional educator
    - built a great relationship with the school I taught at, the principal, and first-shift teachers.
    - was a part of the first-shift math classes, and writing the curriculum, which was great! - you have to take the initiative to take your role seriously however. Some TFs did not do this, and did not have the same experience
    - for being a TF, I had surprisingly good healthcare!

Cons

- Being a teaching fellow is a difficult dynamic in any company, because a TF is not a regular employee, therefore the workload can often times feel very unfair in comparison to the compensation.
    - organization of the company could be better
    - lots of management shifts while I was there, and some miscommunication around management
    - finding a work-life balance is incredibly difficult, however, I feel that can come with any Americorps job because it is service-work, not a regular job.
    - miscommunication around the Segal Award (not necessarily CS's fault, but Americorps) - Segal award is taxed, and cannot be used towards private loans, and may increase your tuition for a program if you are paying with it.
    - Each Teaching Fellow's experience is vastly different dependent on the school you are at, your campus director, your coworkers, which state you are in, the relationship between your school and CS, etc...
    - very demanding role
    - could use more personal coaching and in classroom observations

Advice to Management

- more elaborate coaching for the CDs - some were incredible and embodied all that CS strives for, and some were terrible-- that inconsistency leads to inconsistencies across the region, and resentment.
    - reiterate to CDs and all management that TFs are service-members, not employees, therefore there needs to be some extra passion PDs and encouragement sessions when the going gets tough. They have the heart of service, but that does not mean it will be easy or that their drive won't diminish. They need to be often reminded why they are doing this, and given encouragements to keep them going.
    - Work-Life Balance should be a priority, along with PDs focused on planning and organizing - learning how to prioritize the millions of things they will be doing and how to schedule them out and plan their week is clutch to being successful and staying afloat.
    - hiring from within allows for less training on how CS actually works, or what the experience of a TF is. If you hire up, the CDs will already possess that understanding, leading to more compassion, and a stronger team dynamic.
    - organization, organization, organization & communication, communication, communication. SO important!
    - NY, I know you are doing all you can with what you've got, and thank you to those who are working so hard! :) I hope this has been helpful!