Citizens Bank - Horrible Sales Strategy | Glassdoor

"Horrible Sales Strategy"

Former Employee - Banker II in Monroe, NY
Former Employee - Banker II in Monroe, NY

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent coming out of college

Cons

Terrible sales design structure.
No external marketing to support company promotional offers.
Insane sales expectations - little attention paid to anything aside from sales targets and HOURLY conference calls discussing results.
Horrible sales staff - mostly under-qualified and overpaid. Little knowledge of the banking services or products that company provides.

Advice to Management

Hire competent Regional Managers that will assist Branch Managers in the creation and implementation of sales strategies which may actually work.

Other Employee Reviews for Citizens Bank

"Think of Citizens as a career "layover" more than a destination. That's essentially what it's offering."

Current Employee - "Banker" in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - "Banker" in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It will pay the bills and you do meet some nice people.
    You are trained in how they want you to do the job.
    Very low barriers to entry.
    "Banking hours".
    Bank holidays.
    Commission, albeit modest.
    Goal-oriented motivation.
    The Assistant Branch Manager level is talented and supportive.

Cons

Branch-based retail banking is an antiquated industry, groping around in the dark for some magic strategy to stay competitive going forward. Some banks have recognized the need to change and reacted accordingly. Not here. In a way, that's "quaint". But it's also "head in the sand", hoping that the world somehow got it wrong and we're not in a new technology-driven era.
    "Carrots and sticks" motivational philosophy is outdated.
    The skills and knowledge you learn are not portable to other industries:
    - You have sales goals to meet, yet you don't have the freedom to practice newer sales methodologies being used in other industries. You're either pestering customers who don't want to buy, or order-taking from those that do. You're also relying on friends and family to help meet sales goals. That's not selling in my book.
    - The technology is several decades behind what you need to learn and be using to stay ahead in today's job market.
    - Service is closest to any useful, transferable skill-set acquired here, but it's a far cry from the quality provided by other customer-facing retail industries.
    The role is demeaning on several levels: (i) senior management knows you're a dispensable resource to experiment with until they find "a better way" (ii) branch management have free rein to behave however they want with no consequences (iii) you know inside that you're now part of the "club" of dying stereotypes that most people avoid--the glad-handing used car salesman, the pushy retail sales clerk, the infomercial pitchman (iv) customers can look up most queries on their cell phones in a fraction of the time it takes to navigate through the archaic, layered platform--making you look stupid.

Advice to Management

Employees cannot advise you. We can merely ask you to consider feedback. I would urge you to question your thinking:
    - Is branch-based selling detrimental to long-term relationships and CLV?
    - Should branch staff even have sales goals?
    - Should branches focus purely on customer service?
    - Is there a better way to sell financial services?
    - Do branch managers make the best sales managers?
    - What should "branch transformation" really mean?

2. "The best bank to work at as a full-time college student!"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Westland, MI
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Westland, MI

I have been working at Citizens Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, my experience at Charter One has been great. There is a strong culture of treating everyone with respect. As a part-time colleague the benefits provided to me have been very generous. I receive education assistance to help obtain my bachelor's degree, multiple weeks of PTO, complementary bank services, large incentive bonuses, and the list goes on. Another great thing is that we are constantly recruiting the most talented employees from our competition.

Cons

One big problem is that our technology is often lagging with the times. They have neglected updating a lot of it, and they are finally making big changes at a rapid pace. This puts added strain on us as employees, because we often have to jump through a lot of hoops to get simple tasks done. Another annoying issue is that the company has also neglected to update a lot of branch decor and facades. A lot of our branches look like they haven't been touched up since the 90's.

Advice to Management

My main advice to management would be to keep investing in the branches. We handle 90% of the customer's experience, but sometimes I feel like we are funded as if we only handle 10%. Customers value walking into a branch that has been well-invested in.