City Year - Give a year. A really really long year. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for City Year

"Give a year. A really really long year."

Current Employee - Senior Corps Member in Columbia, SC
Current Employee - Senior Corps Member in Columbia, SC

Pros

City Year has a great culture and is well known in the community. We get free access to movie theaters, discounts at restaurants, and leave work each day knowing that we have made a difference in the lives of others.

Cons

It's really difficult work. 11 hour days are more common that shorter days. It's been a challenging year for sure. The biggest issue I have is that you feel very very unsupported. That's the worst part of the job, by far.

Advice to Management

There has to be some kind of better support given to corps members without sacrificing the mission. I think City Year needs to leave AmeriCorps in order to provide staff better support w/o losing out on the "Ed Award" given by AmeriCorps each year.

Other Employee Reviews for City Year

1. "Incredibly rewarding work, incredibly long, often stressful hours"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

- Excellent opportunities to learn and grow, if you take advantage of them
    - Rewarding work with youth and community
    - Gain experience working with diverse group of co-workers
    - Almost everyone you work with is committed to creating positive outcomes for youth

Cons

- Communication from management isn't always clear, or consistent
    - Extremely long hours, difficult to take time off
    - High staff turnover leads to inefficiencies, some communication breakdowns

Advice to Management

- Increase transparency about major organizational changes
    - Improve feedback processes from all levels and be more in touch with realities in the field
    - Focus on retaining senior leadership

"Own your CY experience"

Current Employee - Senior Corps Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Corps Member in New York, NY

Pros

City Year across the board does amazing work. I wish that it had 10 times the funding, as it is meeting a critical need, by providing positive mentors and role models to students at risk of not graduating high school in 4 years, or at all. As far as non-profits go, it's extremely organized, and constantly working to improve its methods.

I'm nearing the end of my second year with City Year, and am extremely grateful for the experience and growth it has given me. I've grown so much in my time here. Your City Year experience is what you make of it. If you understand and work with the culture pieces, and take advantage of the resources within the organization, City Year can be a life changing experience. If you fight the culture pieces (especially the uniform), you're going to have a very difficult year. Expect to work hard, and don't plan on being out of work before 6:30.

City Year allows you to work on diverse teams of 8-13 young people in under resourced schools, tutoring and mentoring students. These kids are some of the most inspiring people I've ever met. Your team makes you stronger.

Within City Year, there are AMAZING, talented people who work very hard to further City Year's mission. I have learned something from every single person on our staff.

Cons

Sometimes City Year does make things more difficult or stressful than it needs to be. During initiative heavy times of the year especially, the corps is exhausted.

The stipend is rough to live on, but there are ways to make it work.

Advice to Management

Providing more opportunities for professional development that don't take CMs out of service, especially shadowing. Allowing 1st year CMs to shadow their TLs or other senior corps earlier in the year would also be helpful.