City Year - You can't predict your experience. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for City Year

"You can't predict your experience."

Current Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC

I have been working at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with young minds, making a difference in people's lives, practice leadership, practice teamwork, create your own programs.

Cons

Possibility of terrible school environment

Advice to Management

Focus recruitment on either college grads or high school students. Differentiate roles based on experiences and education.

Other Employee Reviews for City Year

"Great mission and organization, leadership needs help"

Former Employee - Development in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Development in San Jose, CA

I worked at City Year full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, committed coworkers, real impact on students.

Cons

Hard to grow at the organization, under payed for similar positions at other nonprofits, leadership is not properly vetted.

Advice to Management

Seek more training on leadership. Take more time off so that when you come to work, you are 100% committed and ready to serve.

2. "Low pay and long hours, but rewarding and good benefits."

Current Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership will definitely look out for you and you get a bunch of benefits. Healthcare, free TAP pass, uniform, and it will look good on a resume. This is a very rewarding experience and you are making a genuine difference for our country. You will meet a number of like minded individuals, who are all well educated. You get two vacations during your service year, Thanksgiving, and Winter. You may also request a forbearance on student loans and at the end of your service you receive a 5500 dollar scholarship.

Cons

The amount of pay you receive almost necessitates that you have a family that will back you. You are on food stamps the entire time, you work for less than 5 dollars an hour and if you have love ones you will rarely ever see them. City year requires a lot from a person and the low level of pay makes it almost not worth it. It is a very dangerous job for someone like me who doesn't have anywhere to go back to after the service year is over. I am currently half way through my year and I am so burdened with stress simply because I need to pay rent after service is over and I don't have another job lined up. There are a lot of requirements, including the stifling culture, and the low amount of resources available for you to complete your job. I also feel out of the loop a lot and am expected to do things on the fly most of the time. You are doing a job with no resources, and you must push yourself into the classrooms in ways that the teacher may not want you to. It is a very difficult job.

Advice to Management

Higher pay and less hours. I understand this isn't a job but national service should be something that is accessible for someone out on their own like me. I feel very much at danger of failing my life and have had to contact EAP for counseling because of it. I'm not sure how long the stipend extends to but I need it to be like a few weeks after service because I will not be able to pay rent, let alone start my next phase in life.