City Year - It's hard to imagine working for a better organization | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for City Year

"It's hard to imagine working for a better organization"

I have been working at City Year full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a really positive and team oriented culture, very supportive of people's personal and professional development. I've found many opportunities for leadership and growth, enjoyed my work and my team, and made some great friends along the way. The work is inspiring because the organization has a great mission that has become more focused over the years, and gradually the organization has become better run, better resourced, and more aligned overall. I have referred several friends to apply because I believe it's such a great place to work.

Cons

People put their all into the work which leaves little room for work life balance. There is some disconnect between staff at local sites versus HQ. Growth opportunities can be somewhat dependent on openings when other people leave, and although they try to reward hard workers with more responsibility, almost everyone is underpaid, typical of the nonprofit sector. The staff overall is young, which can be fun and energetic, but sometimes lacking in perspective.

Advice to Management

There is a long way to go to figure out better communication and alignment between sites and HQ. Site staff often feel under-resourced and over-pressured by HQ staff. The budget and compensation structure is really inconsistent from site to site, but there is a general consensus that people could use more resources.

Other Employee Reviews for City Year

1. "Welcoming, passionate work environment"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at City Year as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, very welcoming of a young intern
    Employees very passionate about their role at City Year

Cons

None that stood out...perhaps a more refined intern program would make more use of us

"suffocating, embarrassing, inept, non-profit more interested in image than results"

Current Employee - Corps Member
    Current Employee - Corps Member

I have been working at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You gain school/teaching experience, but in a manner that has you feeling you're on the outside looking in.

Cons

City Year is ridiculous. They go out of their way to hire "diverse" people, at the cost of results and efficacy. High school grads still wet behind the ears, directionless college drop outs, and college grads with no prospects. They'll hire people who can barely read or write, let alone who should be around children. They hire drug addicts, alcoholics, hateful and downright abusive individuals. Reports of drug and alcohol use AT THE SCHOOL, DURING THE SERVICE DAY are punished with a slap on the wrist. City Year, rather than trying to hire people who will better the schools (or the kids, apparently whom it's all about), cares more about the numbers of "diverse" (cough*inept) people rather than actual results. This is par for the course though. If you notice, City Year very rarely can prove that corps members are actually effective at raising scores or preventing drop-outs. Rather, they just report on the sheer number of hours served, and very dubious stats that are not actually due to CM interventions or service.

We are poorly hired, poorly trained, poorly treated, poorly managed, and largely ineffective. I really regret spending this year with City Year. I wish I had looked into literally ANY other in-school service program, rather than trusting that City Year was a good organization.