City Year - City Year has so much potential, but fails miserably to follow through. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for City Year
There are newer employer reviews for City Year

See Most Recent

Helpful (6)

"City Year has so much potential, but fails miserably to follow through."

Star Star Star Star Star
  • Work/Life Balance
  • Culture & Values
  • Career Opportunities
  • Comp & Benefits
  • Senior Management
Current Employee - Corps Member in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Corps Member in Detroit, MI
Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
No opinion of CEO

I have been working at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Working with and mentoring kids is a special experience.

2) The Corps Members themselves are very cool and interesting (about 80% are cool and the other 20% are CRAZY and incompetent).

Cons

1) The City Year superiors (Team Leaders, Program Managers, Program Directors) have proven to be largely incompetent. They make decisions in a very dictatorial fashion, focusing on growth and numbers and ignoring the needs of Corps members.

2)You follow students in classes all day, but oftentimes teachers teach for the entire class period; this means that whole class periods are spent doing nothing. There is a severe lack of productivity during the day, even though work days are upwards of 10 hours each day.

3) It is extremely stressful and often it feels futile to work in such horrible schools. The teachers and administration are often inept, and Corps Members have little power at the end of the day. Corps Members are forced to prop up support for these horrible schools. Sometimes, the only work we can do is have kids do missing assignments for full credit. This promotes bad work habits, and this isn't tutoring. This emphasis on just getting kids to do their work does little to curb the poor education that students receive.

4) City Year as an organization does little to support Corps Members. Training days happen upwards of once a week, and are frustratingly useless.

5) The data-driven approach is faulty and borderline corrupt. There is no data to understand City Year's impact on students once these students no longer have City Year to help them. In other words, City Year is so focused on short term success, that longterm success is totally ignored.

6) The culture of City Year is tacky and childish. The organization pontificates about professionalism, but promotes a culture that discourages any sense of professionalism. Management sits on their phones during trainings and doesn't uphold the same uniform standards as Corps Members.

Advice to Management

-Hire more competent managers.
-Seek data to see the longterm impact of City Year impact.
-Focus on quality, not quantity.

Other Employee Reviews for City Year

  1. "General Review"

    Star Star Star Star Star
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Former Employee - Development in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Development in San Jose, CA
    Doesn't Recommend
    Neutral Outlook
    No opinion of CEO

    I worked at City Year full-time

    Pros

    Education reform, community engagement, end the dropout rate, diverse team, like-minded, progressive individuals,

    Cons

    non-supportive environment for upward mobility within organization, unequal access to leadership opportunities, bad senior leadership placement - lack experience and management skills, overworked, lack of accountability, disorganized and undocumented data systems and misuse of donations

    Advice to Management

    limited opportunities to move up, only lateral movements


  2. "Company who does not know what it wants to do"

    Star Star Star Star Star
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Current Employee - Corps Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corps Member in New York, NY
    Doesn't Recommend
    Neutral Outlook

    I have been working at City Year full-time (More than a year)

    Pros

    Meet Great People who just graduated college

    Cons

    Instead of focusing on doing a few things well, you are forced to do a million things badly
    corps members get burned out quickly
    no time off
    hard to live off pay
    Instead of helping kids, you are bogged down in paperwork
    Senior Staff offers no help
    You spend your time doing useless community meetings and cheering

    Advice to Management

    Figure out what you want Corps Members to focus on.

There are newer employer reviews for City Year
There are newer employer reviews for City Year

See Most Recent

Work at City Year? Share Your Experiences

City Year
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
 
Click to Rate
or