City of Flagstaff - It's good when you're apart of the good old boys club. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for City of Flagstaff

"It's good when you're apart of the good old boys club."

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Flagstaff, AZ
Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Flagstaff, AZ

Pros

The work load was manageable. Most peers were sincere. Management improvementsr were seen over time.

Cons

Mistakes can easily turn into a big ordeal, professionalism was lacking in some staff.

Advice to Management

The office equipment and computer software needs updating.

Other Employee Reviews for City of Flagstaff

1. "Nice People, Low Pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at City of Flagstaff full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people with the City of Flagstaff are really super sweet! It appears that management has gotten the word, since previous reviews. I have been working here for about two years now and almost didn't take the job based on past reviews. Since I had worked in a cut throat job, I knew I could handle it, but wasn't sure I wanted to. For the people working within the actual City Hall, there are lots of people to help you learn the job. Many people have worked in a variety of different areas and are willing to share their knowledge. I'm glad I didn't take a job elsewhere, instead.

Cons

Due to the recession, City employees went for years without a raise, so pay is just low. And then someone from the outside is hired in with "equity", based on their experience elsewhere and it just doesn't seem fair. Someone with 10 years in another company does not equate to 10 years with the City. People with City experience should get "bonus" time or something as knowing the processes, computer systems, and who to go to does account for something. We have also lost too many good people because they have gotten jobs elsewhere. This is more HR's fault than management's. HR will not allow management to interview and hire who they want. There is something called a "matrix" that is not explained to staff, but is what applications and hiring decisions are based on. If you don't get the "points" you don't get hired for a promotion, or even get an interview, even if you are a top performer.

Advice to Management

Value your current employees, give merit increases annually - not everyone just getting 2%, and fight back against HR regarding The Matrix!

2. "maintenance"

Former Employee - Arizona in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Arizona in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at City of Flagstaff full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Allows you live in flagstaff and ability to enjoy the schools and mountain town living with perfect four seasons and god people

Cons

Slow growth and advancements, they call this city poverty with a view and the cost of living and city compensation are hard fought and slow increments

Advice to Management

take care of your employees and all will be well, especially those that have put in the longest committed hours, check the loyalty and reward them accordingly, don't hires as much as them without giving them a little compensation.