City of Hope - Good experience, with typical large-company problems | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for City of Hope

"Good experience, with typical large-company problems"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Duarte, CA
Current Employee - Research Associate in Duarte, CA

I have been working at City of Hope full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clinical areas are immaculate, of course. There's free parking for visitors and employees, although most of the parking lots are quite a walk from any of the main buildings. It's very safe even at night, because there's always a security car coming around.

Benefits are good, although it's amusing that if you get cancer, you can't get treated at City of Hope without a referral unless you opt for the most expensive health plan. My immediate supervisor was fantastic, but I've seen some that are very mercurial. Everyone I've met (aside from some of the higher ups) were all very kind.

Unexpected perks included free vaccinations and flu shots, as well as the on-campus mailroom. Too bad they moved it from the middle of campus all the way out to the boonies.

Cons

Although they are getting around to renovating all the labs, there's a definite drop in quality compared to the hospital proper. Because of the constant renovations, there's always construction going on and you sometimes have to direct lost patients/visitors. At least they send out emails about road closures.

There's also a ton of red tape. Buildings can be slated for renovation/demolition for years while they wait for a signature.

If you work in academic research, your pay will just be barely enough to live on, but that's a given wherever you are. I've seen a lot of politics play out as well.

Unfortunately, they are downsizing staff because they're expecting to lose some major lucrative patents in the next few years. Seeing some of the lavish fundraisers they put on while knowing that so many scientists have been very suddenly laid off is sometimes disheartening.

Advice to Management

If you truly care about cures, reconsider putting some of that money for fundraising back into research.

Other Employee Reviews for City of Hope

1. "Postdoctoral Fellow at City of Hope"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Duarte, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Duarte, CA

I have been working at City of Hope full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Nice campus, nice people and satsfying. Great benefits.

Cons

As a postdoc - it depends a lot on PIs whims. Salary is meager and the pay structure is doesn't help as you gain experience either.
    PIs living off old achievements and wasting a lot of money and brain power

2. "Internship led into future work."

Former Intern - Summer Research Assistant in Duarte, CA
    Former Intern - Summer Research Assistant in Duarte, CA

I worked at City of Hope as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had an summer internship there which led into a second and third summer of work, along with some remote work during the year. They expressed interest in me working there after I graduated, but my plans led to me moving away.

Cons

Academic setting, so there's not going to be a high rate of pay. Many of my co-workers complained about the salary being difficult to live on.

Advice to Management

Saw some disparity over time on what was wanted, with switching opinion on what method was the best.