City of Kent - Washington - City of Kent, WA | Glassdoor

"City of Kent, WA"

Current Employee - Building Inspector
Current Employee - Building Inspector

Pros

Good benefits and camaraderie among employees.

Cons

Subject to budget cuts during bad times.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees as good as police and fire department.

Other Employee Reviews for City of Kent - Washington

1. "Freelancer"

Pros

I worked with a great group of people for 3/4 of the year. They knew that I was coming in with limited experience but they liked my style and work so they taught me plenty and got me comfortable within my role. It didn't take long for me to feel like a part of the team. I always felt like I could go to anyone with questions. And by the end of my time there, I felt like I had gone through a school that had taught me so much.

Cons

It's government so finances and bureaucracy meant that my freelancing was week-to-week and it ended before the team really wanted because they ran out of resources.

2. "Public Works Environmental Engineering Intern"

Current Intern - Environmental Engineering Intern in Kent, WA
    Current Intern - Environmental Engineering Intern in Kent, WA

I have been working at City of Kent - Washington as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

In Public Works, the people are very friendly and genuinely care about your well-being. This is true for the Environmental Engineering department as well. As an intern, they know that you're there to learn first and foremost about the industry from a municipal perspective, and that getting work out of you is secondary. The responsibilities vary, but when I was full time (part time now because school), I supported all the engineers (~7 of them regularly) with all of their projects. Casual work environment in the office, and when the weather is nice, it isn't too bad to go out in the field. There are a couple committees that plan office wide events during the day and will bring in food/snacks/refreshment every so often (every other week), and there is a dinner group that goes out once a month to promote work/life balance. Also, several people play sports such as basketball and frisbee on a consistent basis during lunch.

Cons

The way the internship was set up for me is that it gets me a lot of exposure to projects, but since I support a handful of people, my responsibilities aren't that huge. They are smaller tasks and sometimes menial and boring, but understanding that in government work that attention to detail is required sometimes justifies my work. A lot of bureaucracy is involved, but I don't really get the sense that people are necessarily working against each other. Additionally, a full-time offer to follow is currently not the format of the internship; rather, they will offer you a year-long internship before a full-time offer comes, if at all. No benefits at all for interns, which is either city code or state law, but is outside the control of the management, although interns are paid above minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for interns to practice public speaking. Giving some kind of presentation to department leads is something I was hoping I would do, since it would prepare interns for anything they would have to do in the future.