City of Napa, CA - Great internship opportunity! | Glassdoor

"Great internship opportunity!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Napa, CA
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Napa, CA

I worked at City of Napa, CA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I did this as a high school senior, and it was a great opportunity to meet and work with urban planners. I learned a lot about office politics, local government, as well as other useful skills such as data mining, writing proposals and reports, office etiquette. I would encourage other high school students to apply.

Cons

It was more demanding than the typical high school internship. It takes about 80 hours, so it takes some serious time management skills to do this along with school, extra curriculars, and SAT prep courses.

Other Employee Reviews for City of Napa, CA

1. "Good People, Not so good politics"

I worked at City of Napa, CA full-time

Pros

Other coworkers are good people, you get decent benefits and decent salary, bosses do seem to care about you as a person

Cons

Like any public agency you have to serve the politicians, and you are constantly responding to upset citizens, there is never any praise from the public

Advice to Management

Just keep trucking, try to keep the public happy, don't be afraid to tell the politicians when something doesn't make any sense

2. "Good people, but they're not all pulling in the same direction."

I worked at City of Napa, CA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of dedicated employees who really care about the mission. In addition, there are a few shining stars, who I kept expecting would get snapped up by recruiters and other agencies.

Cons

They said they wanted change and forward movement, but they wanted to hold on to the past more. Not nearly enough diversity in the employee population.