City of Norfolk (Virginia) - Great place to work when the money was flowing and times were good. Now it balances budgets on the backs of employees. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for City of Norfolk (Virginia)

"Great place to work when the money was flowing and times were good. Now it balances budgets on the backs of employees."

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Norfolk, VA
Current Employee - Network Engineer in Norfolk, VA

Pros

From an IT prospective it's a laid back environment with many technical resources at it's disposal. This provides a positive learning environment for entry level employees wanting to dip into the IT enterprise architecture.

Cons

No raises or training for three years and growing. Salaries of disproportional to the job function, instead based on years of service. This breeds an environment of senior employees milking the system past retirement age with a complete lack of accountability.

Departmental priorities are purely political to the point of reckless mismanagement. Money bleeds from the budget with no strategic planning whatsoever for future projects. Simply put, management just comes every day, wings it, and expects problems to go away on their own. Meanwhile the knowledgeable are expected to just "make it work".

Advice to Management

Value the input of your employees. Involve them in high level projects and give them the opportunity to provide creative solutions to problems. Don't be so quick to outsource jobs to less talented contractors.

Other Employee Reviews for City of Norfolk (Virginia)

"Great Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Office of Grants Management - Municipal Intern in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Office of Grants Management - Municipal Intern in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Overall, I learned a lot from the experience. I had many opportunities to go to City Council, Planning Council, and other meetings. Great staff -- gave me a lot of leeway in my projects.

Cons

The lack of direction was at times frustrating. I was never given critical feedback on my performance -- I'm not even sure they read anything I submitted. My supervisor was willing and able to answer questions as I posed them -- I just had to toake the initiative to do so. The HR training days were poorly facilitated and overall just a waste of everyone's time.

Advice to Management

Can the HR training days. Give more feedback.

"good"

I have been working at City of Norfolk (Virginia) full-time

Pros

cool n ok could be better

Cons

long hours in all types of weather