City of San José - I really enjoy working in this department, it's a lot of fun. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for City of San José

"I really enjoy working in this department, it's a lot of fun."

I have been working at City of San José part-time

Pros

Children love to have fun and co-workers are awesome.

Cons

There is a lot of planning you have to do and sometimes children get picked up really late and that is something you have no control of. You are also limited to about 1,040 hours a year so once you max out you're out of a job until it starts over again.

Other Employee Reviews for City of San José

1. "Stuck in the past"

Current Employee - PRNS
    Current Employee - PRNS

I have been working at City of San José full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- For me, my job is a unique position in a small, specialized field. This is the only reason I'm still here.

Cons

- Pensions? Who pays pensions any more? What an antiquated concept.
    - Employee compensation seems to be the last priority for city spending. I don't understand how they manage to retain ANY employees.
    - Despite my job's specialized requirements, I have a generic city job title, which means I'm subject to seniority/bumping. I've had 2 layoff notices (later rescinded) in three years. Has HR even heard of "morale"?
    - Many departments are full of "lifers" putting in minimal effort until their pension kicks in. Again, terrible for morale.

"low morale and incompetent management"

I have been working at City of San José full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At this point in time, none. this is not a place you want to be, except if you just need a paycheck.

Cons

Where do I start. This is a place where motivation, skill and enthusiasm will be quickly crushed. Incompetence is rewarded with promotions, which then perpetuates itself throughout the organization. Morale is rock bottom due to attacks on the primary reason most people come to work there, and stay, which is the pension system. All the talk about collaboration, cooperation, ect.- all lies. You have been warned.

Advice to Management

Give the whole city a break and fire yourselves.