CityGrid Media - Should have considered reviews on this site much more seriously | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CityGrid Media

"Should have considered reviews on this site much more seriously"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, bagles on friday

Cons

There is no proper on-boarding process. The product managers are absolutely brainless and arrogant. They want to add every imaginable feature to the product, the product should be "infinitely" flexible and all of this should happen in the minimum possible time. Same applies to the senior management. During the interview process, they create a completely different, ideal picture of the company, reality is completely different.

As a software engineer, I was told about an entirely different job profile but in my 1 year with them, I did not work on even a single technology/product which I was told. The team was always bullied by the seniors. As a new comer, your word has no value at all.

Most of the employees who are there for 3-4 years, each one of them I spoke with is waiting for their Green Card. That's the only thing holding them back. I suffered in this company for a whole year and by far, joining this company was my worst decision.

All of these things are mentioned in the previous reviews and even read those before joining. But I did not believed those. I wish I had.

Advice to Management

Try to value your employees

Other Employee Reviews for CityGrid Media

"Decent product, horrible management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, bagles on friday

Cons

Management is not good. They set unrealistic goals which are almost never met. They assume that you will work from home after office (each day!) and even on weekends. This will basically destroy your personal/social life.

The product managers don't know anything about technical stuff, the problems which developers face, etc. They keep changing/adding requirements the way they want. People who are from Yahoo, who have spent 3-4 years (actually "survived" 3-4 years in this company) are only considered, others are just to blame the missed deadlines. No matter how hard you work, there is not even a single word of appreciation.

Regarding the product, it is decent, but nothing more than that. Google, Foursquare, Zaggat, Yelp have already captured the market.

Advice to Management

Set some practical goal, and appreciate your employees.

2. "I have enjoyed my time with CityGrid Media"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA

Pros

Great energy and leadership from the executive level.

Cons

The support roles get lost in the focus on technology therefore, advancement has a glass sealing.