Claire's Stores - Rewarding yet stressful | Glassdoor

"Rewarding yet stressful"

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Houma, LA
Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Houma, LA

Pros

Understanding employers
Decent pay ($8 per hour when I left)
Learning opportunity (ear piercing)
Helping customers accessorize
Creative and colorful company

Cons

Incessant shoplifting (always be vigilant)
Tiring due to nature of work (on your feet)
Stressful if someone quits, is fired, or calls in (not many co-workers)
Personal life often seeps in to the workplace

Advice to Management

Please consider allowing your better employees the ability to arrange the store's set-up. I worked with someone who saw better locations for merchandise, but due to the store's floor plan, she couldn't implement her ideas. We all agreed that her vision was far more appealing.

Other Employee Reviews for Claire's Stores

"Fun place, nice customers, but low pay"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

I loved ear piercing. Little girls would come back to the mall with big smiles and tell you how good they are taking care of there ears after you pierced them. it happened a lot and it was always very cute! The days didn't drag on since there was always something to do, putting out stock, ringing up a purchase, reorganizing all the stuff that people messed up while shopping.

Cons

Kids would skip school and come in and rob the place blind. Mall security is supposed to come and help you when you witness some one leave the store with an item they didnt pay for- but it took them for ever and I was often in the store by myself. I should have had more help, but the hours that we were given to schedule our staff for was never enough. We were a high volume store (just under a million dollar store) and we had a skeleton staff. This was even harder in x-mas season- when the mall is open later and you still have the same amount of labor hours to use.

Advice to Management

dont think of this as a career- it will only frustrate you. instead enjoy the light and fun environment. if you can make bonuses- they are good, and they have prizes for contests from time to time too. Over all- it's a low paying job, but fun. and you get first dibs on the clearance earrings!

2. "stressful but should not have been"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

Pay
    Discount 50% off
    Bonuses
    Constantly changing merchandise

Cons

Inexperienced store management
    District manager very grumpy and preferred dealing with one or two store managers out of 10 or so stores
    Lack of hours

Advice to Management

It says a lot when employees work for the company as long as they do but why play favorites? Give everyone a chance and not just your go-to's. Take a vacation and some time to relax instead of being so grumpy to your employees. Stop with the gossip and petty behavior.