Claire's Stores - unsatisfactory | Glassdoor

"unsatisfactory"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

Pros

the customers are fun, great discount

Cons

No one seems to check on how well the managers are working in their stores. A lot of work gets passed down to the associates and they also take the fall for things that go wrong

Advice to Management

Ask every level of store employees their honest opinion of how things are working and dont accept fine for an answer. If you find that assistant managers and sales associates are getting fired at an alarming rate while the managers dont seem to have an answer as to why the problem may actually be with the manager. There are some great managers in the company dont get me wrong but you can't have only one point of contact for a store

Other Employee Reviews for Claire's Stores

1. "Overall, not a great place to work at for a career."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, CT

Pros

Good employee discount. Good hours.

Cons

Bad work environment. Management needed more training.

Advice to Management

Do not favor friends versus employees

"Absolute worst job ever!"

Former Employee - Third Key in Sioux City, IA
    Former Employee - Third Key in Sioux City, IA

Pros

Amazing discount, 50% off regularly priced items
    Most associates were great to work with

Cons

Female dominated workplace, lots of cattiness!

Way too much focus on ADS and UPT. It was a daily hassle and worrying of what my individual ADS would be. Returns tanked your ADS so people got really rude with customers trying to discourage returns/exchanges.

There is never enough payroll for two people to work at the same outside of weekend evenings (Saturday/Sunday).

You are always by yourself. They did not seem to care whether we got to take lunches or not. I many times worked 9:30 to 5 by myself without a break. The company did not seem to care because our state law did not require a break after 5 hours like most do.

Never enough staff because there is never enough payroll to be given out to keep people. Half of the time I worked at Claire's it was me as a third key, my store manager, and a sales associate. I worked six days a week and on my "day off" I had to come in for an hour to give my store manager a smoke break.

District Managers need to be more indepth that basic procedures are being followed. Several times the schedule for the week would end on Saturday night and you would not know what you were working the week ahead by that Saturday. SM are supposed to have schedules submitted to their boss two weeks ahead of time, but mine apparently did not notice or care.

Advice to Management

Get a better process of marking things down. You waste so much of your companys payroll and employees time making them scan each individual sku every month to see if it is marked down or discarded. Get with the times and have a printable list of each sku and how many there are of that sku for markdowns.

Less focus on ADS as well. It makes working here so stressful. Everyone complains about it. Many times we are selling to children (14 and under) and it is really hard to "upsell" and add-on to a customer who only has $15 to spend.