Claire's Stores - I loved this job even though I wasn't paid very well... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Claire's Stores

"I loved this job even though I wasn't paid very well..."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities for promotions, amazing management re-hired me whenever I was on break from college (even for just a couple weeks), fun place to work at (besides customers), always busy-never bored, very flexible with hours, coworkers are friendly and fun, a lot of things to do, great store discount

Cons

Not very well paid but you do get raises the longer you're there (without asking!), customers are annoying sometimes, stupid/annoying dress code, district manager shows up randomly for hours at a time and works employees' jobs, called in frequently to cover someone else's shift or additional hours that weren't scheduled for, consistently worried about being fired for small things (miss one on call and you're fired)

Other Employee Reviews for Claire's Stores

1. "Fun atmosphere yet easily burned out."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Tends to be small yet very close & personable work experience in indiv stores
    - Not a hard job unless part of a poorly managed store (which tends to happen a great deal more than it should)
    - Decent benefits
    - Fun atmosphere, very easy to sell the product as long as you are both child-friendly & in keen to fashionable acessories

Cons

- Long hours by yourself
    - Company makes it exceptionally hard to create a schedule both good for business & on employees (which you would think they would work on but alas, they have not)
    - Holidays are nuts - Expect "too much" (this will be my 7th year there - it absolutely is too much) from upper management during holiday season
    - Company tends to hire outside of store vs promote within
    - Company does not understand the term "job burn out" or "employee morale" which easily makes workers feel as though they are easily replaceable & the company is just out for profiit
    - Third key management no longer receives any sort of bonus for good sales within the store (unless grandfathered in)

Advice to Management

Hire new Human Resource Management employees. The current obviously have no idea how to keep employee morale high enough for what the company demands with the kind of pay that they are willing to dish out.

"Fun at times but not enough hours/people"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Piercing ears is really fun, I love talking with the customers and really getting to know them, then helping others find jewelry for specific events, special outfits, ect. You have alot of regular customers so you get to know people really fast and having good customers makes your job fun.

Cons

Not enough hours in a day to do everything they want done. You are expected to work new planograms, sort shipment (usually 3-9 boxes at a time) help customers, and prevent shoplifting. For me the shoplifting was the worst, if you are alone and having to watch people they tend to notice so I did have people follow me outside of work before because of that. They really push deadlines but dont give enough hours for them. They want you to give great cusstomer service, duh, but it has to be there way, you cant ask a customer if they are looking for something, you pretty much have to demand they tell you something you want to see in the store, and we dont offer you baskets, no, we must force one into your hand or we are not doing our job. Floor is too crowded with merchandise, which makes customers with strollers and those in wheelchairs angry and every time our DM would come in she would make the floor tighter.

Advice to Management

Give more hours to your stores, you will notice increase sales and lower shrink especially if you give hours to properly train associates. Reduce the amount of fixtures on floor so people can comfortably move and shop. Dont force them to look at product or take baskets, allow the customer to decide what they want and assist them any way you can.