Claire's Stores - Drama Central for Low pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Claire's Stores

"Drama Central for Low pay"

Current Employee - Third Keyholder
Current Employee - Third Keyholder

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discount, interesting clientele, good training on ear piercings.

Cons

Pay is awful. & It's a predominantly female population, with a lot of female drama. I don't think there's been a day where I've worked with one person to listen to them complain about another. There's a lot of politics that comes with the job in house. If you have good management, then your work-life balance can be awesome but at the same time they may completely ignore you for hours in the future. I've gone two weeks where I literally only worked 4 hours. Also, none of the product really changes and visual merchandising can be super easy or really tedious, like I said: depends on management. Also, when I say management I don't mean management to include third keys and the ASM. Just the actual manager & the DSM.

Advice to Management

Pay your managers more, and don't have so many in one store. There needs to be more sales associates.

Other Employee Reviews for Claire's Stores

"Lack of customer service and poor training"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Discount, rewarding when it comes to customers, friendly staff

Cons

Terrible management staff, lack of training for all employees, poor communication, DSM and RSM are useless and do nothing to help you out, doesn't promote from within company, over work employees, high turnover rate, for little pay for all the work you put in, constantly cuts payroll hours which leaves one employee to run the store for 8+ hours without taking a lunch break.

Advice to Management

I wish I had more pros to say about this company but unfortunately I don't. This company used to be a fun and exciting place, but over the last couple of years this company has gone down hill. Claires is spending more money on opening new stores than actually spending money on their employees moral. I have seen so many excellent employees leave this company because they are treated so poorly. Most of the management staff are poorly trained and this due to the fact that the company spends so little time on training its employees. Whem I first started out a member of management had to go through 2-4 weeks of training, depending on the position. Now it less than 20 hours of training! This company is setting their employees to fail. On top of being poorly trained as a manager, your expected to run the entire store by yourself for countless hours, most of the time without taking a lunch. The company doesn't care if you need coverage or need a break. All they care about is making sure that they are making money, while over working and under paying you. Dont bother addressing these issues to your DSM. They will not help you out. Don't expect to get promoted for all your hard work that you have done by yourself, because Claires rarely promotes within. I have seen soo many talented individuals that should have been promoted but weren't. Which eventually causes them to leave for better opportunities. This company doesnt care about the overall well being of its employees.

"overworked understaffed and underpaid"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very good insurance - good vacation time

Cons

expected to do unreal amount of work with unreal deadlines...work is acceptable load if they give you enough hours to staff your store to complete it but you spend 95% of the time alone unable to take breaks unable to complete deadlines etc.
    In one months time you are expected to do monthly markdowns, change the planogram and signs in the door daily with BIG wall/floor changes every month, sometimes doing one thing and redoing the same thing back to original within one week (all with approximately 3 hours of having two people in the store and 5 by yourself). You are also supposed to print analyze and coach employees on all metrics of the store such as this unbelievable goal of an 18 dollar ADS (average dollar sale) when you have "10 for 10" clearances every day of the week and accepting 20% coupons for total purchase at the Outlet Stores. You are also supposed to unpackage and put out shipment within 24 hours, pierce ears, open locked body jewelry cabinets, insane amount of paperwork and loss prevention when you are alone in the store all the time.

Advice to Management

More hours for staff less micromanaging by DSM