Claire's Stores - overworked understaffed and underpaid | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Claire's Stores

"overworked understaffed and underpaid"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very good insurance - good vacation time

Cons

expected to do unreal amount of work with unreal deadlines...work is acceptable load if they give you enough hours to staff your store to complete it but you spend 95% of the time alone unable to take breaks unable to complete deadlines etc.
In one months time you are expected to do monthly markdowns, change the planogram and signs in the door daily with BIG wall/floor changes every month, sometimes doing one thing and redoing the same thing back to original within one week (all with approximately 3 hours of having two people in the store and 5 by yourself). You are also supposed to print analyze and coach employees on all metrics of the store such as this unbelievable goal of an 18 dollar ADS (average dollar sale) when you have "10 for 10" clearances every day of the week and accepting 20% coupons for total purchase at the Outlet Stores. You are also supposed to unpackage and put out shipment within 24 hours, pierce ears, open locked body jewelry cabinets, insane amount of paperwork and loss prevention when you are alone in the store all the time.

Advice to Management

More hours for staff less micromanaging by DSM

Other Employee Reviews for Claire's Stores

"Love it"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

love the environment and customers! Easy fast pace... everyone is friendly

Cons

none that I can think of

"Dead end job-it's not great at all!!!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount
    Make friends with staff
    Went from sales to third key to manager and that's the end of the line.

Cons

Too much paperwork at night most could be done on computer with newer technology
    Have been with company for 3 years and 4 months and only time I got a raise was from promotions and one yearly review (12 cents after a year.) Manager is constantly not able to work for whatever reason/ purposely goes over and skips breaks so she can leave early and she does nothing while on shift besides takes multiple PAID smoke breaks. DM is never around to even realize how awful management is in stores. No room for advancement after a certain point. After 6 years your get a extra week vacation yet you will work every holiday so no family time. Ear piercing is awful. Trying to pierce a 3 month old with a young mom is the worst. They don't know what to do or how to care for their ears especially when you can't refuse a piercing to a parent that insists on getting the cheapest studs you have (not good metal). Shoplifters are the worse and this is a huge reason why I'm leaving. They steal left and right and most of the time your alone and can't do anything about it unless you see it (which is impossible in my store) and if I do stop they run away and your management gets mad at you because you had a $100 loss. We have 93 hours a week. I used 32 (living paycheck to paycheck) manager gets 40 and so that's 23 divided by 3 third
    keys left. My mall is open 24 hours Black Friday and we get no hours for the store. Maybe 10?? Meaning you will work 12 hours, go home and sleep for 4 and go back another 8 to close and clean up. Then go home and come back next day for another 10 all weekend no breaks!!! No overtime!!!!! Oh did i mention a manager pays 700$ a month for company health insurance f you need it for your family??This job is the most UNSAFE Especially when you close alone and go to the bank alone. (And don't get paid anything extra for driving 10 mins to bank when you get off. ). This goes for every claires. They didn't notify me about having a girl call out so I'm stuck at the store working 12.5 hours with no food or bathroom. If you have a choice don't work here. low pay. Good Luck.

Advice to Management

Stop opening stores and focus on the ones you have. Start with basics and stop making everything so complicated. This company makes millions a week yet can't hire a decent Dsm to order a door stop or a light bulb? Maybe 5$ for each ear piercing sold? Only incentives are for million dollar stores and that's not fair.