Claire's Stores - Good Management Experience | Glassdoor

"Good Management Experience"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Coon Rapids, MN
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Coon Rapids, MN

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the variety of duties in being the assistant manager. Piercing ears, talking with customers all day and having good co-worker company along the way. We generally shared tactics together on preventing theft and assisting each other in meeting sales expectations. We also through children birthday parties that were exhausting but very fun.

Cons

Lots of stress if at a slower store (meeting sales goals), Lots of stress at busy stores (too much to do, too little time).

Advice to Management

I don't really have any. My district manager who is no longer with the company was amazing, along with my store manager.

Other Employee Reviews for Claire's Stores

1. "Don't get comfortable"

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in New York, NY

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work around your schedule, great people to work with, discount is awesome, they sell nice things, anddd that's it

Cons

Little hours to give (3 hour shifts) , they want soo much done in a little bit of time and low pay rate, we get 7 boxes of shipment ( of little items) on an average day and it needs to be process before the day is over, home office goes on vacation so if I need them ur out of luck

Advice to Management

Easy just ask to be a manger and you will get trained

"Horrible company to work for..."

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Nashville, TN

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount (50%).

And that's it. But the jewelry or anything you get there will break within a week. So there's really no point in wasting your money.

Cons

Too much expected of employees in the amount of time they're given to complete the many tasks in only one shift.

Poor paychecks for how many tasks and responsibilities you're expected to take on by yourself.

Third-Keys have it worst of all. You're treated like an Assistant Manager. (Even according to their company, the definition of a Third-Key Holder is a part-time management position.) But you're paid like a Sales Associate, barely above minimum wage. But you're expected to basically run the store, and sometimes completely by yourself... especially closing shifts on the weekends. All of the responsibilities and expectations that are put on management, but no benefits and the pay rate does not match up.

Catty, high school-like behavior in the back room. Too much gossip and back-biting.

Left in the store alone for hours at a time. No break. No going to bathroom or getting to eat.

They do monthly "PM and AM Visits"... a Store Manager or your District Manager spies on you while you open and/or close the store by yourself. Then they surprise you by the door when you're about to leave (or open the store), and take you back inside to review everything you did. I've worked 3 retail jobs before this one and I'd never heard of this practice before. Very weird and personally invasive if you ask me.

Corporate favoritism. A new District Manager was brought in, so then he brought in a new Manager In Training... she then proceeded to talk about all of us and spread lies to other employees and to our Store Manager and District Manager. -- Corporate will probably never know about this seemingly petty stuff... but it actually turns into real serious problems. It gets employees hours cut down to nothing and results in them not being able to pay rent or eat. And this is not just me. It happened to two other girls at our store, before me. All because people have personal agendas and will step on anyone they don't like just to get ahead.

Claire's does not care about its employees whatsoever. They only care about money. No family values, either. They refused to let me go home to see my family in another state for Christmas. Even though we had a full staff. It's just crappy tween jewelry. I don't see why it was life or death if I left a week for Christmas when we were fully staffed and I was the only one whose whole family lives in a different state.

Working for this company seemed great the first couple of months. But once I settled in, I realized how volatile it actually is there.