Claremont University Consortium - Things are so much better and more professional. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Claremont University Consortium

"Things are so much better and more professional."

Current Employee - Librarian in Claremont, CA
Current Employee - Librarian in Claremont, CA

Pros

The CUC has gone through a lot of changes over the years and changes in management. Now, we have a new strategic plan that seems to be working and more staff are involved and aware of how things work and get the information directly from managers.

Cons

Sometimes the colleges we serve take the CUC for granted and think of the staff as less important than themselves, but even this has recently improved and I feel more valued.

Advice to Management

Continue to push forward with the Key result Areas, and keep mushing out those staff who are not buying in to the team.

Other Employee Reviews for Claremont University Consortium

1. "Place to grow and expand skillset"

Former Employee - Network Administrator in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Network Administrator in Redlands, CA

I worked at Claremont University Consortium (Less than a year)

Pros

I found that in IT at CUC specifically you are given an opportunity to learn and expand in a variety of areas due to the smaller scale of the group. As an example, a systems administrator can take part in learning many facets of the department from networking to application support and even project management. As an employee, I grew in various areas and had I not left, I probably would have grown more.

Cons

The environment is extremely open physically meaning everyone sees everyone. There are not a lot of walls high enough to really divide one department from another and it can be difficult to know where one department starts and where another ends. They were working to build separation by creating offices and cubical walls of separation, hopefully the separation will help in the future.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage growth and development in IT. Provide structured mentor-ship with goals and timelines for employees to grow and advance.

2. "Hostile Environment"

I have been working at Claremont University Consortium full-time

Pros

Subsidized lunches for the consortium provides employees with $2-$7 lunches with a good selection of salad bar and entree's daily. Free coffee, keurig brands and nespresso machines.

Cons

The office environment is very quiet, people are not very friendly. Leadership strives to intimidate staff (very rude, tantrum type style boss-one in particular) and seems staff is afraid to speak up, my manager gets yelled at. That is unacceptable. professional staff such as faculty are extremely annoying and entitled. Some of the operational staff is nice but it almost seems like no one can talk. There are cameras and you can hear a pin drop. Extremely low salaries!!! Project managers make less than $65k a year. Seems the wealth here is at the top 1%, there is no diversity among leadership the diversity lies within the worker bees.

Advice to Management

Lighten up! You have good people, treat them with a little respect and provide opportunities for growth. Also, start employing more permanent people instead of hiring on a temp basis. Salaries are way below market, you are not bench-marking outside of the private sector causing some pretty low wages. The word is that there is no budget, but I wonder when budgets are set if those that approve the salaries cut themselves a nice deal and divide what's left.