Clear Channel - You're expected to work long hours for very low pay, zero recognition, and bargain basement benefits | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Clear Channel

"You're expected to work long hours for very low pay, zero recognition, and bargain basement benefits"

Former Employee - Marketing/Communications Department in New York, NY
Former Employee - Marketing/Communications Department in New York, NY

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You sometimes meet celebrities, but they usually end up smoking pot and drinking beer in your bathroom. The office building in NY is okay, but don't expect to get any help from the security desk if you lose your office key. You get free bagels on Fridays, but they leave them out all day long so they end up being infested by fruit flies (and beware the five hour-old cream cheese).

Cons

The managers don't know what they're doing. They watch when you leave at the end of the day, and they reprimand you if you leave five minutes before your scheduled time even though you don't clock in/out and even if you arrive at work hours before you're supposed to be there.

The managers bring in their dogs to run around the office, which I find to be very unprofessional. I don't want a gross old dog jumping up on me, especially at work.

Co-workers enjoy "telling on" you for ridiculous things -- I told a co-worker that I was unable to attend a non-work-related function because I had a prior commitment (I was teaching a yoga class). The function was actually just a club opening in Brooklyn, where the club was owned by the son of Clear Channel's CEO. I didn't think I had to go to this, as it had nothing to do with work. Cut to several weeks later: my manager reprimanded me for not attending, and she pointedly stated to me that I had the nerve to, instead, "go to yoga class." So my co-worker ratted me out (regarding what I do in my time off) and my manager reprimanded me for doing something on my time off other than attending a non-work-related club opening. Truly preposterous.

If you want to work in a "Mean Girls" environment, this is the place for you. If you don't mind being told that you cannot badmouth Rush Limbaugh (who works for the company), this is the place for you. If you don't mind anti-semitic comments being made by your manager, then this is the place for you. If you don't mind having ZERO medical benefits, then this is the place for you.

I singlehandedly raised readership of the employee newsletter by 60% and, in return, was told by my manager that the rise in readership was solely due to "familiarity." If you work here, you will never get any recognition for your work unless you are in the "cool crowd."

When my manager said she didn't like my writing, I asked her to clarify. I referred to the materials I'd written in the last month, asking what she thought about those, and her response was, "I haven't read those yet."

I quit my job here -- I would rather have no job than work in this toxic environment.

Radio is a dying business so don't waste your time taking a job here.

Advice to Management

Check out what's going on in the Marketing/Communications department. It's just full of a bunch of power-hungry bullies who sit around on their butts talking about "the good old days at Six Flags."

Other Employee Reviews for Clear Channel

1. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Training, high income potential

Cons

Very stressful environment, must be very efficient with your time.

"Dead End..."

Current Employee - Senior Sales Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with and I have learned a great deal since I started here.

Cons

Absolutely no room for advancement especially if you're not in with the boys club. No merit increases; not even a cost of living increase is given to the employees. If you're not upper management, you will be extremely underpaid. Sales staff including assistants are very stressed out by their work loads. The sales initiatives are very chaotic and there are too many to count. There is a real lack of focus from corporate. The bottom line is all they care about, not their employees. And at the end of the year, upper management makes a nice bonus check while the rest of us scrounge for extra cash just to live. It's very de-moralizing.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They work hard for you so why shouldn't you work hard for them? Your "lower-totem pole" employees need merit increases and cost of living increases. Your compensation strategy and all job descriptions need to be re-visited. You are not retaining good talent with how you're operating right now. This company has so much potential and does nothing to take advantage of that potential.