ClearSlide - Don't. Do. It | Glassdoor

"Don't. Do. It"

Former Employee - CSS in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - CSS in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice mac desktops, chobani yogurt... nice view that get old... that's all.

Cons

Management is a joke, ZERO respect for those people (especially on CSS floor), the "platform" is pretty much a bunch of other successful bay area companies used for Clearslide to sit on and look cool, like Twilio ect. Extremely expensive, hard sell, not worth it. The atmosphere is extremely clicky, zero mobility throughout the company except to move up the sales later and continue to hate your life. Everything is changing, but have no say or even idea of what is actually going on behind closed doors. Horrible mistake taking this offer over others and have removed it from my LI all together. Oh, did i mention UNDERPAID.

Advice to Management

You're not that cool.

Other Employee Reviews for ClearSlide

"Awful. And, I'll never forget it - No company I work for in the future will use ClearSlide, that's for sure."

Former Employee - Customer Success Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people trapped there are great, supportive and a hell of a lot of fun to drink with.

Nice dress code
    Un-regulated PTO

Learned how to pick up the phone and call anyone.

Cons

Beware of a company with only 1 star and 5 star reviews.

- People fired or leaving left and right. There was a new story of someone leaving every week (and that's in a >200 person company. Everyone knows of everyone.)
    - They preach culture, but every single employee is strung out, underpaid and hating going to work every day.
    - Poor product. There have been little to no updates to this product in years. Competitors are popping up and are more reliable, user friendly, and FREE.
    - Repeatedly asked to lie about functionality to customers to complete a sale. Always asking them to buy more than they need.
    - Led by fear. Employees are too scared to talk for fear of losing their jobs. Whatever "feedback" management said they were looking for will never be put into place - everyone knows that.
    - All levels of management are saying changes for the better "in the next two weeks..." or "by next month..." with zero accountability across the board.
    - company meetings = 2 hours of Al praising the product team for all of their "hard work."
    - ridiculous goals that kept me at the office from 7a.m.-6p.m. most days.
    - You'll never find a way to make money at this company.

An organization managed by fear. Walk onto the sales floor and see CAE's pacing with cracked-out looks in their eyes because they've called all of their relative's relatives and there's no one left to but the platform. Or onto the CSS floor where everyone has red eyes and hoarse throats from repeating the same pitch to each and every customer. They're all promised promotions if they only "wait a few more months," and thus the ugly cycle of overworked and underpaid begins for the people touching the customers the most.

Look 20 feet away at the product team that Al Leib himself micromanages and see them lounging, getting drunk at 11a.m. on Fridays and never updating the product - that's right, there have been no significant (or successful) updates to this product for 2 years.

I'm not telling you to not interview, but when you do, why don't you ask how many re-orgs and re-structures there have been in the last six months (try four!!)

Or, when the product will be updated well enough to compete with it's free competitors?

Or, for them to show you the company growth plan - how has revenue been the last six months versus projections for the next six months?

Or, How long a typical [whatever role you're applying for... seriously] has been at clearslide (less than 6 months and less than 1 year in extreme cases)

Or, How successful typical [your role] are? Write these numbers down, especially if you plan on taking the job, and I'll show a company that lies to your face.

Ask your manager what he/she plans to do to help you succeed (I had one good manager out of four at ClearSlide and then my team was restructured and reorganized).

Or, ask about the reviews on Glassdoor - they're not so great after all, are they? Expect an answer that's along the lines of, "it's not for everyone." "hard work is not for lazy people." and then walk yourself out the door, because I watched some of the hardest working people stomp out of ClearSlide leaving behind whatever was at their desks, clothes, pictures, phones, like skeletal reminders, all because they realized that there are millions of good-to-okay jobs to be had in the bay area and one at ClearSlide is not on that list.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO.
    And, senior management, stop spending time writing up 5 star reviews of ClearSlide and start spending it on trying to fix all of your 1,000 problems.

"'Crush your number' - read before you interview!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's difficult to be objective because there are so many negative aspects of this company, but here we go...
    -Nice, fun group of coworkers (that sadly get taken advantage of as it's a first job for many)
    -You're a recruiters dream after working here - I've been shooting out my resume for the past 2 weeks and there's a lot of availability after working here
    -If this is your first sales job, you'll definitely appreciate wherever you end up later in your career - as no place I've ever worked in sales treats their employees this way

Cons

-Despite our latest 'crush your #' campaign - there's a very different story in reality - save yourself from the lies you'll hear from the hiring managers (I've sat in on interviews to help screen candidates and unfortunately seen it first hand) .
    -In 1+ year here, I'd say about 10-15% of ramped (i.e. full quota) reps hit their # on the ridiculous monthly quota (ridiculous b/c the sales cycle for this uphill battle of a product is more like 3 months start to finish). Also, even when you do "crush" this number, you won't pull home much of a commission check. 100% to monthly goal for a ramped rep will get you barely $2k PRE-TAX to subsidize your joke of a base salary (EVERY company I've spoken to this month about new positions has a base salary $15-20,000 more than what I make now).
    -I confirmed through a friend that at least a few (can't speak for them all) of the latest 5 star reviews on here are written internally (I know, I know HUGE shocker)
    -I read through some of the other reviews, there's not much else to say, instead ask yourself as a prospective employee, "Hey why are these people that leave all these 1-star reviews so ticked off?" - well, people get fired/leave here on very BAD terms. Here's a Catch-22 for you ClearSlide: if you hire quality talent that's "crushing" their number, then why is their such deep seeded animosity towards your company not just on GlassDoor but your reputation in the Bay Area?
    -Product: looks slick initially (what lured me in) but the headaches behind the technology (or lack thereof) become readily apparent and the lack of meaningful development from engineering is plain sad for what could have been a solid tool

Advice to Management

The tipping point occurred long ago for you guys. I think you should just embrace that you're regarded as a chop-shop, churn and burn industry wide and that the facade of culture you're holding onto is NON-EXISTENT. Go out and hire temps on hourly wages for the sales team, cut out all perks/happy hours/etc. and focus 100% on milking every last dollar out of a faltering company. Okay, that's extreme, but no advice for you (none that you'll follow through on at least!). Former employee ~100+ this year, signing off.