Close - Remote work culture done right | Glassdoor

"Remote work culture done right"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Prague

I have been working at Close full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong personalities. High-level multidisciplinary skillsets. Implicit trust. Enjoying live. Fundamental aspects of truly working remote culture, which are brought to yet another level right here, right now. Don't miss out.

Cons

In remote work you need to step up your game, have strong discipline and be self-motivated to do your best. But that's hardly a con.

Advice to Management

Keep up the incredible level of transparency and trust within the team.

Close2018-05-30

Other Employee Reviews

"Legit employee review: It's better than I could have anticipated!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Executive in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Close full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Close has been a blast! When I applied to work there, I read all the Glassdoor reviews and to be honest, was kinda like, "Sure, yeah, whatever - this is probably the typical 'Glassdoor window dressing' stuff." So while I was excited about accepting an offer to work with their team, I was also a bit skeptical that my perception of great people doing great work would be quickly disappointed, so I... lowered my expectations preparing to be mildly disappointed. Amazingly, I haven't been disappointed at all - actually, surprised by how legitimately kind, humble, and thoughtful the team is to work alongside daily. We joke, we laugh, we work hard - and working with people who care about their customers and the results (and how they achieve those results!) is a total breathe of fresh air. After starting here, I was given a copy of the book "Rework" written by Jason Friedman and DHH from Basecamp as a, "Hey, read this - it explains a lot of how we think about what we do." I was already a huge fan of how Basecamp operates, so I was immediately impressed. As the months continued, I've had more experiences that show the company lives up to the hype. For example, one evening my manager basically (kindly) scolded me for NOT having my "Do Not Disturb" enabled on Slack so I can unplug from my work when I'm not at my desk. Who does that stuff these days??? So awesome. There's a prevailing sense of confident-humility that's quick to own up to poor decisions, acknowledges real skill and ability, praises good choices, and defaults toward action and getting stuff done. Close has some many people scattered around the world from different cultures, backgrounds, and ethnicities - and I feel like I'm continually learning from their life experiences and perspectives as well.

Cons

It's not for everyone. If amid uncertainty, you don't naturally default toward action (e.g., "I'm not sure, but I can figure it out..."), you likely won't be a fit at Close. In that same vein, you likely won't be a fit if you're intimidated to ask questions - even seemingly silly ones. As a culture, we question ourselves, our peers, our processes, and choices from last week, month, or year. So if you're not... comfortable reconsidering what seemed best yesterday - or asking questions about it, you likely won't be a fit. The team works hard but has strong expectations that you unplug, step away, and recharge - and if you can't manage yourself (both by showing up and also showing yourself out), you likely won't be a fit here. Additionally, a common denominator here is the ability to admit when you're wrong - but also a strength in being able to stand behind your decisions. In other words, owning your work, outcomes, and choices. No one acts defeated or like a whipped puppy. The culture is warm, forgiving, and supportive - but if you're more about defending your actions (defensive) than owning the results (humble strength), you'll likely struggle with the open and honest culture.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Keep owning your successes, transparently owning your failures, and pushing the team to grow - it's working and it's a pleasure to be a part of! :)

Close2019-03-26

"Very disappointed in the company..."

I have been working at Close full-time

Pros

remote work, no commuting to work, pay is OK

Cons

fake people, too laid back, lack of leadership, favoritism, lack of diversity in the company

Advice to Management

Maybe look at the "yes" men and women that work for you...Also, why does your company only seem to hire only people of the same race, creed, age, orientation? Shouldn't we be embracing diversity? If you feel I am not telling the truth, look at our company picture. One would think that being a startup and remote that we would be more inclusive of people of color and marginalized groups. I definitely thought that with... a CEO like Steli we would have gotten that but I guess that would fall on the people that he put in charge of that aspect of recruiting and hiring. Very sad.

Close2018-12-23

Discover more reviews about Close.