Cloudera - Great people, healthy engineering culture, growing fast | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cloudera

"Great people, healthy engineering culture, growing fast"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Cloudera as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The core engineering talent at Cloudera is really good. The company is growing fast, but adding engineers to platform development relatively slowly. I think the problems you get to work on are pretty interesting, and the career opportunities are good since it's a small/medium sized company that's growing exponentially. It's also no longer in "startup mode", people go home around 6PM, even if they do answer email and finish up work in the evening.

The perks are also pretty good; free Waiter.com lunch everyday, plentiful snacks and drinks, and generally nice offices and equipment. All engineers get a 30" monitor, and can order ergonomic keyboards/mice if they want them. There's also a healthy book purchasing and conference policy; I think they'll basically buy any book you need if there isn't already a copy in the office, and they'll send you to one conference per year.

Cons

Engineering teams are split between the Palo Alto and San Francisco offices. This is somewhat annoying, even with Skype in most of the meeting rooms. Generally, each office visits the other just to get a little face time.

Other Employee Reviews for Cloudera

"Great Startup"

Pros

Strong start up with F100 clients. Market leader. Good work environment. Transparent management.

Cons

Health insurance could be better. Large co-pays at times.

"Phenomenal learning experience"

Current Employee - Engineering Intern
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern

Pros

Extremely technically competent team, perhaps outside of Google, Cloudera has the best distributed systems teams in the world. The small size and high number of experienced employees made it very easy to receive excellent mentorship. Strong "no-assholes" policy during hiring makes for an awesome work experience.

Hours were flexible - management didn't mind my odd hours or when I worked, as long as work was getting done. Lunch is provided, and generally the company maintains a very sane work-life balance.

Assignments were very big in scope and extremely challenging. I appreciated their faith in me, and the mentorship provided which allowed me to approach such challenges.

Cons

The benefits are perhaps small compared to other, more established companies. If you expect to be spoiled like Google/Palantir/FB/etc - then you may be disappointed. There's no laundry service or on-site cafeteria, for example. Only lunch is provided, not breakfast and dinner. Compensation is very competitive though.