CoStar Group - Huge growth, great company, better if you are in Sales | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group

"Huge growth, great company, better if you are in Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Inside Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, lots of vacation, new office, high end equiptment

Cons

Constant change in expectations, very tall org chart, disconnect between management and employees

Advice to Management

I've been at CoStar for over 2 year, in sales. CoStar will hire inside sales people with little experience but huge potential. Outside sales requires more experience. Sales doesn't have nearly the turnover as research. In inside sales, I made about 58k my first year, and about 92k my 2nd year. Top sales people can do $200k+ after about 3-5 years. 60-70% of CoStar employees are researchers generally hired out of college. Researchers make phone calls all day and do data entry. It's great experience but the business model is not built to retain researchers. CoStar will always hire recent grads because there's an abundance and they are cheap labor. Remember the company's goal is to have the highest profit margin and that's why the stock is so valuable. My advice if you are a recent grad is get a job in research, do it for a year, make connections in sales, and switch departments. Some of our top salespeople started in research.

My advice to management, is to give cost of living increases each year. The only way you get a bump in salary is if you get promoted. We escalate our clients' contracts by CPI (inflation) every year which averages about 3%. Why not pass that along to the employees?

As a stock holder, I've seen CoStar's stock go from about $50 a share in 2011 to about $180 a share today. I've been very happy with the company's performance. The business model is genius to the credit of founder and CEO, Andy Florance. Although he doesn't have a strong approval from former employees, look past that. He's a visionary that built a business out of his basement that is practically impossible to duplicate. We have a 94% client renewal rate and we continue to grow at alarming rates and acquire companies. Being a cash rich business, with very few assets, and very predictable income stream, puts CoStar in a position for exponential growth with great opportunities for hardworking employees.

Other Employee Reviews for CoStar Group

"Toxic culture. CEO'S way or no way. Company is managed almost entirely by leveraging fear."

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, perks and office-space

Cons

Employees and managed by unrealistic metrics. They know any day they can be let go regardless of past performance

Advice to Management

Trust your people. Make them feel like they have a voice.

"Glorified call center"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Healthy snacks galore, gym, activities to get into

Cons

crazy metrics, corporate structure, wild expectations

Advice to Management

understand what the "research associates" have to go through