CoStar Group - Great Learning Experience | Glassdoor

"Great Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at CoStar for over 18 month as a Research Associate before transitioning into a brokerage firm. One of the core responsibilities as an RA was to interview the contacts (usually brokers) in your market. I never appreciated it while I was doing the work but having those conversations enabled me to not only learn about CRE but they taught me to be persistent in asking questions, creative in facing objections, and confident in leading conversations. Those are the skills that I've taken into my new role as a broker.
As for the company, there are a number of opportunities for RAs to grow. The company is the leader in their space and they are very good at promoting from within.

Cons

Although there are a number of opportunities the company needs to do a better job of formalizing a career path so it is more clear for each employee.

Advice to Management

Senior management is great in identifying new opportunities (i.e. LoopNet, Apartments, PPR, etc.) that will enhance the experience for their clients. I hope they continue to look for these great compliments to their service. I will benefit as a current client.

Other Employee Reviews for CoStar Group

"It's a job."

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits. The company is growing and expanding. A dynamic industry. The product is information, and people always need information.

Cons

Work ok an RA in a level 1 portfolio is just making calls. I also dont see how the work I am doing really matters in the big picture. The company is metric oriented where the numbers are more important than the quality of the data.

Advice to Management

Change the metrics to a much more quality focused approach not just "get 10 2min calls per day."

"Corporate Culture"

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good location, excellent introduction and exposure in commercial real estate industry. Significant growth means opportunity to advance, promotions frequently come from within company. Products and services are highly valued by the industry. CEO has strong track record, including during real estate downturn.

Cons

Does not always attract the best talent. Low employee morale in many company segments. High employee turnover, including in senior management and corporate officers.