Cogeco Peer 1 - Good company with some growing pains | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cogeco Peer 1

"Good company with some growing pains"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were absolutely great and made coming to work something I looked forward to each day. The company did a good job of embracing the individual strengths of each employee.

Cons

Expectations and workload were not fairly distributed across the team. Compensation was slightly below market, but the office atmosphere made up for quite a bit.

Advice to Management

I believe that Management was making the right changes as I left.

Other Employee Reviews for Cogeco Peer 1

"Great company turning into Bad..."

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Miami, FL

I worked at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Freedom to balance your personal and work life
    - Opportunity to advance your knowledge on advanced systems
    - Managers (at least personally) are very approachable and down to earth
    - 401K is 100% matched
    - Vacation time accrued is competitive

Cons

- No attempt by management / executives to keep talented employees on staff
    - Non competitive salaries
    - Hardly any real monetary incentives (bonuses, raises, etc...)
    - A poor attempt by the company to keep employees happy by handing out Swag such as shirts, sweaters, coffee mugs, etc. This seems to be in lieu of bonuses or raises.
    - No concrete attempts for raises or salaries, mostly vague comments on the promise of them.

All in all, when I started working at Peer1, I loved it. After the many years of working there, I came to realize that raises came few and far in between, and that the company (executives) gave no true importance to their employees.

There is this "Team Awesome" recognition program devised by Peer1, that is not based on any real work being done by the employee. The people that are liked the most get these recognitions, and for many years the only incentive for these recognitions were some print out certificates. Recently they have expanded it to include a collection of points to actually buy things that you will want.

However, I still rather raises, and bonuses, like I said before these recognition points were usually given to people that were well liked and noticed. It could or could not be based on actual going the "extra mile" and working hard.

Advice to Management

Take care of the talented people you have left. These talented people are leaving the company and will leave you with subpar employees. You still have a few good men left, try to keep them!

2. "PEER 1"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cogeco Peer 1 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commitment to culture, fun work environment.

Cons

Struggling with the ability to execute. Seems this has been in place for a while. Missing lots of coordinated "infrastructure", like an information management strategy for employees. Stuff is "everywhere" internally. Disorganized.

Many times you are left to your own to execute. Lack of commitment to defined objectives in certain departments.