Cogent Communications - A great place to work with awesome compensation if you are motivated, not for the lazy. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cogent Communications

"A great place to work with awesome compensation if you are motivated, not for the lazy."

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Culver City, CA
Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits. Thorough training and upward mobility. Cogent Communications really invests a lot of time and money into the representatives training and development. The role turned out to be exactly what was described/promised so no surprises which is a nice change compared to some other firms in the area. Contests, spiffs and awards are top notch.

Cons

Fast paced environment, not for slackers or those who want to blame their failures on everything and everyone.

Advice to Management

Focus on high energy recruits who understand what it takes to be successful in sales and skip the whiners.

Other Employee Reviews for Cogent Communications

"This company provides me with everything I deserve as a top performing sales professional and supports me all the way!"

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I know how to sell. I have always known how to approach people, prospects, and ultimately close the deal. This is all Cogent is asking for...and in return they provide me with a seriously competitive base salary, a sexy bonus schedule, and the uncapped commissions that keep my activity level high. I was supported and nurtured throughout the training process and receive a lot of appreciation for my hard work. Most companies let their people bring in hundreds of thousands of dollars and expect to only pay their sales reps the bare minimum. Not Cogent! I will make over $123k this year and the sky is the limit!!!

Cons

Seeing the unexperienced sales reps come in a complain when they realize sales can be frustrating. Of course! But if you know the sales game, you will love Cogent. If you expect money to walk up and beg you to put it in your wallet, this is not for you.

Advice to Management

Perhaps top grading would help to keep the teams as competitive as possible. A little competition goes a long way!

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

learn a lot about the industry

Cons

100% Outside sales position. flaky managers. unstructured. favoritism. constant yelling and unprofessionalism.

Advice to Management

Make sure people are actually doing what you ask, rather than implementing there own techniques.