Cogo Labs - Could not ask for a better place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cogo Labs

"Could not ask for a better place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not sure where the other reviewer was working... but there's very little politics, almost no red tape, and tons of resources at your disposal at Cogo. There are tons of brilliant employees and the environment is incredibly relaxed.

-Tons of events with free food/beer
-You get to use whatever tools/software you want
-No BS... everyone here is driven by the end result
- Tons of growth in the past year and a great deal of potential moving forward
- Extremely interesting work... the data you get to work with here is the stuff of dreams
- Managers are pragmatic

Cons

- Salaries are on the low side, but on par with what you'd expect from a startup. This will likely change in the coming years
- Stressful
- Incubator tries to fly under the radar (for various reasons) so very little name recognition

Advice to Management

Try to keep the quality of the hiring up. In particular, try recruiting more analysts with a programming background.

Cogo Labs Response

Jul 3, 2014 – Director, Talent Development

Thank you! And yes we agree we need more analysts who have programming backgrounds. We are looking! And don't forget about our referral bonus, if any amazing people cross your path!

Other Employee Reviews for Cogo Labs

"Very different but very fun"

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time

Pros

I get to work with a lot of data. I get to have an opinion and use my own ideas in figuring out what to analyze, how to approach problems. Coworkers are fun, outgoing, relaxed. Get to see how your work impacts the businesses you're incubating

Cons

There's not a lot of other companies doing what we do, so there isn't really a roadmap or a set of processes in place. Which is great sometimes, frustrating occasionally. Also the air conditioning is unpredictable, freezing cold some days, too warm other days.

Advice to Management

More company outings! And the World Cup screen should become a permanent thing in the office so we can watch sports all the time

Cogo Labs Response

Jul 3, 2014 – Director, Talent Development

More company outings is a definite possibility. The giant screen remaining up all the time is a soft maybe.

2. "Great early career choice for learning skills"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cogo Labs is an excellent place to start your career. I've had many opportunities to learn new skills and take on projects that push my boundaries. The best part about the company is the people. Everyone is talented, intelligent and willing to share their knowledge with you to help you grow. While the project goals may not be great (see cons), you do get the chance to build and contribute to interesting projects that will better your technical skills. If you're a self starter who works productively without constant supervision, you'll fit in and excel at Cogo Labs. The company also has a good work / life balance and fun culture.

Cons

The biggest downside to working at Cogo Labs is the business model, which is heavily focused on sending affiliate mail. While the company does start and accelerate companies with actual products, the goal of improving these products and providing value to users is often pushed aside in favor of email monetization.

Advice to Management

My main suggestion to management would be to better align the actual goals of the company with what is promoted to new hires. I've seen many fellow employees have a great first year, only to become jaded as they learn more about the company and discover how reliant it is on affiliate email marketing. There is a disconnect between what is said and what actually happens, and when employees notice that disconnect, it can be jarring. That being said, they should continue to foster and improve a fun culture and career development skills, as those are the biggest selling points as to why someone should join Cogo Labs.