Cogo Labs - Very different but very fun | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cogo Labs

"Very different but very fun"

Current Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time

Pros

I get to work with a lot of data. I get to have an opinion and use my own ideas in figuring out what to analyze, how to approach problems. Coworkers are fun, outgoing, relaxed. Get to see how your work impacts the businesses you're incubating

Cons

There's not a lot of other companies doing what we do, so there isn't really a roadmap or a set of processes in place. Which is great sometimes, frustrating occasionally. Also the air conditioning is unpredictable, freezing cold some days, too warm other days.

Advice to Management

More company outings! And the World Cup screen should become a permanent thing in the office so we can watch sports all the time

Cogo Labs Response

Jul 3, 2014 – Director, Talent Development

More company outings is a definite possibility. The giant screen remaining up all the time is a soft maybe.

Other Employee Reviews for Cogo Labs

"Great place to launch your career; skeptical about future of business model"

I have been working at Cogo Labs full-time

Pros

- fast paced environment contributes to high rate of personal growth and immediate responsibility
    - data driven company, where ideas supported by data are accepted regardless of who they come from
    - really intelligent, caring, hard-working, fun group of co-workers

Cons

- business model predicated on revenue from sending third party offers (email spam)
    - sending email gets in the way of potentially successful startup ideas and obfuscates actual focus of teams spinning out
    - promotion standards are very different across teams. employees are occasionally not put in a role to succeed. need to be lucky with role and manager to get quickly promoted.
    - salaries are low and equity is effectively meaningless unless an internal company has an exit (very unlikely)

Advice to Management

- people get burned out when they work solely on email marketing for years. particularly when they are lead to believe that they will be creating new startups during the interview process.

Cogo Labs Response

Dec 7, 2016 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thank you so much for the review. You raise an interesting concern about promotions and I think there's more we can do to increase transparency of those standards across departments. As far as being ... More

"Great Place to Start a Career"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst

Pros

Cogo was a fantastic place to start my career. Coming out of college, it's virtually impossible to find a job where you know how your work matters to the company, can directly measure your impact on the organization, advance rapidly, and advise senior leadership about what direction you think your project should go-- when you back it up with sound data, they'll nearly never turn you down. Instead they're more likely to reward you with resources and advancement and welcome your initiative.

Cons

Frat/drinking culture with pressure to drink and be 'one of the guys'

Advice to Management

Not all smart people are a fit for this fast-paced, growth-oriented environment, so stop wasting your time on them. Regular house-cleaning of people who simply aren't a fit will just enrich the experience for the rest AND grow your bottom line faster.