Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Current Employee

If you are a diversity hire, stay away

Dec 21, 2018 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

This may be a good first or second job in your career. If you’re an intern or someone with no family to go home to, this might be a good place to have fun and bond with others from similar backgrounds. There are many social events to keep you busy after work hours.

Cons

Leadership does not lead. They just spend a lot of time trying to make everyone feel good. There seems to be a lot of smoke and mirrors. No decisions seem to stick. There are no adults in the room that actually understand execution, as opposed to touring the talk or conference circuit. Doing it quick and dirty is often mistaken for “efficient execution”, as opposed to actually doing it right and not leaving others, usually the Customer Service folks and ultimately our customers, in a lot of pain. Cross-team work is wrought with friction because the teams are very disjointed. We do not have enough technical leaders who want to fix cross-team coordination, probably because there is no respect for that type of work. Experienced leaders have been recruited recently from other industries, like financial services, etc, and then are being set up to fail. People are being forced into the wrong roles. There is no empathy. If you are not from The Big 5 (Google, Amazon, Apple, Facebook, or Twitter) then you’ll likely be treated like an imposter because pedigree is everything. Scaling is but one problem to be solved in the world, and the fact that you may have solved problems 1000x more complex than blasting tweets will mean very little to them. If you are a diversity hire, you may be treated like a quota, as opposed to someone who actually deserves to be there. This is because like most other tech companies, it is treated as a funnel issue, as opposed to a retention and culture issue. There is a sad lack of diversity in our product and engineering leadership, and consequently, strategic product initiatives. The folks who are there don’t seem to be very “included”. Our diversity and inclusion initiatives are being run by people, save for one, who probably have never experienced what it is like to be an underrepresented minority in tech and been one of the unlucky ones to experience discrimination first-hand. How do you actually fix the problem if you don’t know what it’s like? The condescension is real. You’ll spend a lot of time nodding and smiling because if you get upset and speak up, it probably won’t reflect well on you. Save yourself the heartache. What’s sad is that diversity and inclusion initiatives are so in your face that the overrepresented folks are beginning to feel excluded too. The problem is probably because there are senior leaders who don’t take it that seriously.

Continue reading
    39 people found this review helpful

Coinbase Response

Head of Belonging & Inclusion

First, let me thank you for your direct, honest and thoughtful feedback. It’s not lost on me that sharing this takes courage and is grounded in a desire to make Coinbase, and more broadly our tech community, an environment that supports anyone, irrespective of pedigree, background or experience. We’ve grown rapidly over the past year, adding a lot of new employees across offices around the world. Scaling so quickly and bringing these different experiences together has also made it important for us to focus on building an employee experience where anyone, despite obstacles and barriers to inclusion they may face outside our walls, is best positioned to thrive within them. We spent much of 2018 laying the foundation to further this work and I’m looking forward to continued progress in 2019 and beyond. You’re right: Our industry has been tackling diversity and inclusion for quite some time. Despite progress, we have a long way to go. That’s why we’re working to make sure every step that we take is a step in the right direction. I'm confident that if we keep working at it, we can be a model to our peers of what happens when you enable employees of every background to realize their fullest potential. I welcome the opportunity to connect one-on-one to share more about what we’re working on in the coming months--feel free to reach out to me directly- Tariq Meyers, Head of Belonging & Inclusion

1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Secure crypto at Binary Fx Trades

Oct 19, 2021 - cryptocurrency trader in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coinbase is the largest U.S.-based cryptocurrency exchange, trading more than 50 cryptocurrencies.

Cons

Coinbase offers a secure way to invest and trade with cryptocurrencies. Coinbase features a growing list of over 25 cryptocurrencies.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very cool work

Aug 6, 2021 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Very interesting technical challenges - A LOT of autonomy (could be a con) - Amazing perks (WFH stipend, random gifts all the time) - Very smart colleagues - Great communication all around the company - Exciting - Brilliant CEO and engineering execs - A lot of useful education and automation regarding processes

Cons

- There is a lot of autonomy so if you're the kind of person who needs the work to be handed to you, you'll have to adjust - Since crypto is a very fast paced field, you will often have multiple projects on the go at the same time so work-life balance is usually relatively bad, although the company does offer re-charge days (and weeks) so that we can all take time off. - This is the biggest con: you get assessed if you're "on-track" or "off-track" every quarter, if you're "off-track", you have 60 days to fix it. Quite an aggressive stance, similar to Amazon's PIP program which is notoriously toxic.

Continue reading
    64 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Coinbase.