Colas - Project Engineer | Glassdoor

"Project Engineer"

I have been working at Colas full-time

Pros

Good Benefits and good people

Cons

Long hours and long days

Advice to Management

Good Management

Colas2018-07-11

"Excellent place to call home"

Former Employee - Network Administrator in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at Colas full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours are predictable and you will not be overworked. The people are a lot of fun, the atmosphere is pretty laid back and informal.

Cons

Despite the company's large size, there isn't much room for upward mobility. The US-based IT dept is just too small.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Colas2015-10-20
  2. "ISS - some of the right ideas, none of the bandwidth for execution"

Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Colas full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Theres some of the "Rockstar" IT culture - fun parties, no dress code, lots of food in the office - Low barrier to entry, perhaps a good start for getting into IT/software/tech in general - If the support desk still has the same manager as when I was there, She was absolutely fantastic, did a lot with a little. She was under-appreciated.

Cons

- Classic "IT is a cost not an opportunity" attitude, which sucks if you work at ISS. Low resources for actually learning the job, high pressure on everyone there. - A big appetite for talking about innovation, not a big appetite for risking actual innovation. Was told "crazy start up stuff" (like Python, lol) wasn't relevant. - You have to make your own trajectory. Wasn't sure what to learn to advance in the... company. They seemed to just accept that support desk was high turnover, and that they couldnt do anything about it. ew. - Weak worklife balance and vague expectations caused me to break down mentally. To what extent it was the job, my immaturity, my crazy brain, hard to say. But it was allowed to grow to a point where it was a problem.

Advice to Management

Invest in learning and growth! Sit down with upper mgmt and explain that you cant get the most out of tech without taking significant risks and making real investments. Teach iterative thinking and development, get their heads out of their .... erm.... get their heads out of the clouds and set expectations reasonably.

Colas2019-08-06

Discover more reviews about Colas.