Coldwater Creek - It's Fun Until It Slows Down | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Coldwater Creek

"It's Fun Until It Slows Down"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD

Pros

Amazing discounts
Great co-workers and even great managers sometimes
Pay rate for similar part time work is above average
Non commission so steady pay overall
Has kind of a cult following, women who shop there have sometimes shopped CC for 15+ years and it shows
Personal touches given, makes for good repeat customers

Cons

Sales can hurt when following trend plans
Hours have to be cut to follow trend plans, it's the worst in new stores who don't have a previous year to base scheduling upon (aka my store, 3 months old)
Customers only shop the sales and only the best sales as well, and sometimes they try to take advantage of the discounts and coupons (i.e. 30 off 100 dollars or more, they want to 500 dollars worth in 5 transactions with 30 off each)
Sales make life tough on employees who have their hours cut to make up for payroll issues

When I started they had me working around 30 hours a week. Last week I was cut 3 times, and next week I'm only scheduled 18 hrs, while some managers are working 100+ hr work weeks somehow. Some fellow employees have zero hours scheduled next week, and this is the second week of December! Right before Christmas! Although many employees have other full-time work, I do not, and I am suffering immensely.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more communication between management and staff. You can't just cut hours without giving any explanation and expect it to go off without a hitch. Some of us depend on our jobs to pay the bills. I'm home 4 days this week and a teeny paycheck on the way, despite working my butt off to open this store, and the district people just stroll in and tell us we need to cut hours because the other stores in the area are suffering.

Other Employee Reviews for Coldwater Creek

"Company headed downhill....."

Former Employee - Coordinator in Sandpoint, ID
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Sandpoint, ID

Pros

This company use to be a leader in the retail industry and is good place to work when you are in with senior management.

Cons

Coldwater is in a downhill slide. Stock is dropping dramatically and moral is horrible. Training is not a focus and most people are unhappy with the work conditions.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees and reward those who are trying to do a good job with the limited resources that you provide.

"Working at Coldwater Creek"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandpoint, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandpoint, ID

Pros

Location. Snow, lakes, forests make for wonderful days-off. If you are female and like Coldwater Creek's clothes, the discount is great.

Cons

The retail industry is very susceptible to the economy.
    If Dennis gets an idea, everyone jumps and makes it happen.

Advice to Management

Focus on making clothes at a price that women want to wear and are willing to pay for. Invest in the best and brightest people in product development and in business intelligence.