Employee Review

1. 3.0

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Nov 24, 2009 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent benefits and great people. I felt like I was truly making a difference.

Cons

Management forms close relationships with those who assimilate. The rest are treated like peons. It's not what you know but who you know and more importantly, who likes you.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0

Great

Apr 11, 2021 - Breeder - Squash and Cucumber in Dairy, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Learned stuff, met folks, and did work

Cons

Late stage capitalism really sucks

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Org genuinely wants to improve the world, but sometimes at the expense of work-life balance

Feb 17, 2021 - Researcher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership down the rank and file all genuinely want to improve American education Most employees are collaborative, fun, and really smart Pay is competitive, with great benefits

Cons

While they may be generally polite and desire to appear reflective, multiple senior leaders have problematic blind spots that regularly result in arbitrary actions, expensive mistakes, and typical playing favorites/office politics presented as evidence-based decisions. As a result, staff walk on eggshells trying to avoid accidentally triggering volatility and hold their breath for what sudden change may be thrown their way at any minute. Also, the organization works some teams like dogs. It is an unwritten assumption that work-life balance has to go out the window when there are emergency student needs (e.g., COVID supports for colleges, high schools). The desire to want to help is admirable, but it is certainly a shoot first, ask questions about the human cost to staff later (if at all) approach.

Continue reading
    7 people found this review helpful

College Board Response

Human Resources colleague

Thank you for your feedback and candor. We know that flexibility and balance are essential to our staff, particularly since the pandemic; we're sorry that wasn't your experience. Our leadership values and listens to feedback from staff and will continue to look for new channels for two-way communication. Ben Jay, Talent Acquisition Team (bjay@collegeboard.org)

Discover more reviews about College Board.