College Works Painting - Being a leader isn't easy, but it's rewarding | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for College Works Painting

"Being a leader isn't easy, but it's rewarding"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Branch Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at College Works Painting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Life changing experience
Great relationships built
Humungous resume builder
Gained actual real world experience instead of sitting at a computer or following someone else around and just watching them
Got an serious sense of pride and actual accomplishment during and after the internship
Gained the confidence and people skills I need to succeed in future job searches and interviews
Found my personal limits - and proved to myself just how far I can go
Became a leader among my peers
Matured light years faster than anyone my age that I know
Got a lot more organized - this really helps with school, work, and my social life

Cons

This isn't a free ride - this is by far the hardest thing I have ever done
This is not for everyone - if you are not hardworking do not try this
Do not do this solely for money - if you do you will miss out on the most important thing - the experience you gain and the relationships you build
The whole experience is a rollercoaster - be ready for ups and downs throughout

Advice to Management

The less hand-holding the better. People are either going to think and figure it out or they're going to learn to ask the right questions. Giving them the answers will only hurt them in the long run.

Other Employee Reviews for College Works Painting

1. "Valuable and real experience"

Current Intern - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Intern - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at College Works Painting as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Life changing experience. You will look at everything differently and become much more mature.
    - Employers love it on a resume. But more importantly, you will actually build confidence and skills to excel in your career.
    - Pay is awesome. You are in complete control.
    - You will be friendships and relationships for life.
    - Excellent networking opportunities through alum and clients.

Cons

- NOT for everyone. You are not folding clothes, making spreadsheets, or acting as someone's lackey. If you're not prepared to work, don't sign up.
    - Training expectation are difficult to set, so here is my advice: This is YOUR business. You are funded with ZERO liability, so take it as an opportunity to be independent. If you want your hand held, this isn't the right place for you.
    - Hard to see the long term. As with anything challenging, in the moment, you will forget why you signed up. Don't do that. Keep the end in mind and you will succeed.
    - Long hours early on. As long as you're prepared for it, and you try to enjoy the process, you can do it.

Advice to Management

Empower more. Coach DMs to empower more. The more a DM does everything for an intern, the more it actually hurts that intern. Training expectations drop and interns start to feel like they're both working for their DM and not learning.

ADVICE TO INTERNS: Take ownership. Don't let your DM do everything for you. They will want to because they want you to succeed, but this is a recipe for mediocrity. Act like a business owner and you will have a much more rewarding and fulfilling experience.

"Job Security is hard to come by!"

Current Employee - General Manager in Stony Brook, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in Stony Brook, NY

I have been working at College Works Painting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, TON of development, advancement opportunity, job security, resume builder, networking, Company outings and fun events

Cons

The job is not for people that are minimalists, self motivation and discipline required is above what you're ordinary student can deliver, Low acceptance rate

Advice to Management

More development meetings would be helpful